Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Attending Joshua's Baby Dedication Ceremony At Calvary Life Assembly

Last Saturday evening, the Calvary Care Home (CCH) gang attended Joshua's baby dedication ceremony at the church. That afternoon, I was already at CCH with some of the boys. A car drove in and a few Indian first-time visitors left us plastic bags of white rice, nasi briyani, fried mihoon, chicken curry, fried vegetables, papadam, milk tea, coffee, payasam, etc. They had just had a wedding lunch and wanted to give away the leftover food to bless an orphanage. Luke reminded me that we could bring all these ready dishes for the baby dedication ceremony dinner later. So two of us immediately poured out the food into pots and containers. And I quickly SMSed Joshua to tell him about it so that his family could estimate how much more food to prepare from their house.

Later, Sis Annie and Adrienne also dropped by to give us bread and cakes that they had collected from bakeries. Our thoughtful Luke again suggested that we kept the cakes for that evening. So we went to CLA as guests-cum-caterers!

The ceremony was at the end of the Tamil service. I had attended the Vietnamese service once, and the BM service one whole year. This time, the experience with the Tamil language was also very exotic. Sitting at the back behind the Indian congregation, Albert P with a giggle told me that he understood at least words like "Jesus" and "Hallelujah". I thought that was good enough!

It was the first time I witnessed a baby dedication which was so beautiful with the presence of the baby, the parents, the pastor, and of course Jesus.

When I was small, I was often sick. Mum brought me to a Chinese temple to dedicate me to the god of the Emporer of Monkeys to "protect" me, whom I never believed in. Thank God I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour, and thus prayed to break the bound. And fortunately I had not caught too much the spirit of monkeys apart from my vivacity...

Since her birth, I had not yet met this cute Joyana. I was a bit surprised that she was dressed in blue instead of typical pink or white for a baby girl.

We finally had dinner after the service at about 9.30pm. As it was quite late, I served only little food. It was a pity that the vegetables and nasi briyani that we had brought had already turned sour and had to be removed from the table. But the rest still kept the original taste. Together with the food from Joshua's family, there was more than enough to feed the whole congregation. The Lord had indeed provided for this baby dedication ceremony.

No comments: