Monday, December 13, 2010

First Party Of Harap Learning Centre Bukit Baru, Melaka

Last Tuesday, I went to the Harap Learning Centre Bukit Baru at about 9.30am to help in the preparation of the first party. The previous night, we had a dinner gathering at Mrs Ee's house with Ps Richard and Piek See.

The flat and the playground looked quiet but I was sure that many residents were aware of our forthcoming event.

The young adults were already busy there since as early as eight o'clock. Two boys from the Sri Siantan community also came to give a hand.

After less than two hours' efforts, the walls were nicely decorated with colourful strips and balloons. Every corner was clean and neat.

The first guests who appeared were Sajar's lovely children whom I had seen on the opening day of the centre and the other day during our meeting there.

Very soon, a few more children from the neighbourhood also stepped in. I arranged them to be seated on small plastic stools and began to memorise their names.

While waiting for the food, drinks and other people to arrive, I tried to amuse our little VIPs without whom the centre would not even exist. In return, some of them with their cute acts made us laugh more.

The programme started with the photograph session with the key members of Projek Harap, my MLM classmates, the volunteers from City Community Church (CCC), the children, etc.

I had been appointed as the amcee, first time in my life. I gave a welcome speech in Bahasa Malaysia. Then, Dr Wong, the main leader of Harap Learning Centre Bukit Baru, talked in a simple and demonstrative way about the importance of having a life with purpose.

Lack of experience, I did not coordinate very well with Ps Joanne's team who distributed presents wrapped in shoe boxes to the children of different ages. As a result, the process was a bit noisy and chaotic. However, the children only cared if their hands and stomachs were full. Most of the packed nasi lemak were given away within five minutes. Nyonya kuih and curry puffs were popular side dishes. Sis Grace had generously sponsored packed drinks while Sis Poh Lin had brought tasty fried noodles. Dr Wong had also ordered steamed buns and ABC (ais kacang) from Sajar who had rejected passivity and was now running a stall to support his family.

I did not stay until the end of the event as I had to rush for my next personal activity of the day. I have learnt a lot from this Projek Harap even though it was just the beginning. I thank God for putting me in this team to reach out to these marginalised children in Melaka so that they know that someone out there cares for them.

No comments: