Tuesday, December 14, 2010

10th NSCD 2010 Camp I: On The Road To Port Dickson

Two weeks ago, Albert P told me on the phone that I was invited as staff to participate in a youth camp together with the Calvary Care Home (CCH) boys in Port Dickson from 7th to 10th December. As the first day fell exactly on the day I was the amcee of the Harap Learning Centre party and we had no idea what time the camp was going to start, I thought I might not be able to make it. After the call, I prayed, "Father God, if it's Your will that I should join the camp, You'll make everything just nice for me."

The answer came very soon. The registration of the campers would only be closed at about 3.30pm. I estimated that the party would be over by 2pm and I intended to leave as soon as my presence in the centre was no longer important. Since I would already be at Bukit Baru, it would be very easy for me to meet up with the CCH gang either at the Home or at the church. It was as if all the schedules were specially made for me. God is good!

Six months after the church camp, I had another outstation trip with my God-given family. This time we had a new member Joel.

Travelling by van as a group reminded me of my wonderful experience with eight French senior citizens and a local driver in Syria in 2002, about one month just before I quit France to come back to Malaysia. We had fun and laughed our heads off during the ten-day tour. The Toitot couple said to me that it had been their most unforgettable trip in the Middle East because of the combination of the travellers including me.

Eight years later, we were also nine persons in a van. Sadly, I myself became a "senior citizen" sitting among children and teenagers.

Albert was not driving the CCH van which might easily break down halfway. Ps James had advised him to take the highway to avoid winding roads. Despite the GPS, the good condition of the church van and the prayer for journey mercy, a roll of paper to wipe my cold sweat was necessary

since our driver's stamina was low in the afternoon and he did not even know that he could use the fifth gear in this vehicle... As a result, John was in charge of giving him a shoulder massage while I quickly shared my also limited driving knowledge and unlimited jokes.

At first, Albert was confident that we would be at the destination by 3.30pm. Knowing his speed on the highway which would even drive a tortoise crazy, we were very glad to arrive before four o'clock.

We realised that Golden Sands was not a typical resort as we had imagined. It was actually a Baptist assembly. From the entrance, it looked like a school.

We finally got out from the van. Apparently, the person who had suffered most from the journey was the driver himself...

1 comment:

JJ said...

Prof nice body post......