Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Birthday III: Shopping Surprise

My birthday was one of the things which I cared least in my life, though I had memories a bit here and there--the fire engine toy that Dad gave me when I was small, the two hard-boiled eggs I had to swallow together with soup mee suah that Mum specially cooked, the meals with my friends in France, etc.

This year, after my record breaking of organising six simple birthday celebrations for the Calvary Care Home (CCH) gang, the home administrator Albert P finally found out my date of birth and appointed John as the "event manager" to plan together a birthday surprise for me. They asked me to make myself free for them on 24th December from 5pm onwards. Having learnt the lessons of obedience recently, I obeyed happily and immediately.

My birthday finally came. Since morning, I was busy with my breakfast appointment with guests, helping in church for the preparations of the Christmas party and my shopping appointment with Sis Annie. At five, I could finally relax and let others entertain me.

I had not got a clue about the programme. I simply hopped into the "pirate ship" and started my adventure! Besides Matthew, the two finalists who were qualified to join the fun were Luke and Joel.

The first destination was Jaya Jusco Bandaraya. Once we reached there, Albert said to the boys, "Bring her to the ladies' department!" While following the "masters" with mysterious smiles to the first floor, I felt myself like a lamb to the slaughter.

"Don't tell me you're going to ask me to buy bras here and pay for me," I began to worry a bit.

"Lee Sah, we want to make you happy today. I remember you said never buy clothes, shoes or handbags for women. And I know you like shopping. So you're given a RM100 voucher to buy anything you like."

It was definitely unexpected to me. However, what Albert did not know was that I would not like shopping under the stress that five guys would be waiting for me. And neither would I enjoy letting others pay for things that I could afford, while being with some of the children who still lived on people's donations.

Looking at the four boys with us, I immediately formed an idea in my mind and told Albert, "Let's go to the children's department then! They'll buy something they like. RM25 for each of them." And in return to his kindness, I was also going to bless him back with a present which God had placed in my heart.

Albert was the one in surprise this time. But he respected my decision to transfer this blessing to others as long as it made me happy. My joy was beyond words, of course! John and Matthew also showed their love to Joel and Luke respectively by spending less than the amount they were allowed. I quickly brought Joel to see clothes. I had almost wanted to buy a shirt for him during my earlier outing with Sis Annie. Now he was choosing a blouse and pants exactly according to his size and taste.

During the one hour there, while I was trotting energetically between the racks and the fitting room with Joel, the guys were already exhausted.

I was very pleased with the first activity. "Thanks, I liked it!" I told Albert, "Another lesson to learn--never go shopping with a woman to buy things she likes. It's tiring." He laughed, "Why didn't you tell me before?" I answered, "That's my latest revelation!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa seow sih wo lei haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I am waiting for part 2