Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Birthday V: Christmas Eve Service And Present Blessings

That evening, Albert's two nephews were going to perform during the Christmas Eve service in their church. So he invited us to go along to Straits Baptist Church after our dinner. As we arrived a bit late, we discreetly sat at the back rows.

A group of Mandarin speaking women who had been learning English for several months sang in both languages.

One of Albert's nephews played drum while the other was in the caroling team. The church building and the congregation were not big. But the atmosphere was very nice.

At the end of the service, Christmas gifts were given away to everyone who was there--first, the children, then, the visitors and last, the adult church members. We just drew a number from a box to exchange with a present.

When Joel went forward and said out his number in BM or English, I imagined the helpers must be wondering why on earth this little Indian boy had appeared in their Chinese service.

We two adults were more excited than John who shyly remained seated at first. I had almost wanted to ask the organisers, "Today is also my birthday. Can I have one more present?"

Matthew unwrapped his. It was a handphone box! Unfortunately, his hi-tech gadget dream shattered as soon as he opened it and only pulled out some stationery. We laughed at the disappointed boy. Luke was luckier. He won a toaster which I advised him to bring home to his mother on his next visit. Later, both cheated by approaching the stage again to receive a present each for the second time.

Everyone of us was back with the hands and stomach full. Another present giving ceremony was awaiting me.

This time, I did not have to draw any number and I discovered two gifts in one box--a beautiful key chain with the verse "Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord." (Psalm 31:24, NIV) and a plaque with the prayer of kitchen so that I would "bless" the CCH gang more often with my experimental foods.

My friends, with such a wonderful programme, this was definitely the most unforgettable birthday in my life and you all made me very happy. My joy came from the fact that you were willing to spend quality time for me and with me. Once again, thanks for your friendship and kindness. May we continue to love one another in Christ.

No comments: