Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner At Emmy And Felix's House

Last Thursday, I was invited to Emmy and Felix's house for the Thanksgiving dinner, a very important annual event to this Cuban couple besides Christmas.

When I arrived at 7.15pm, Emmy told me, "Julia didn't know that you spoke French. After I told her that you're going to test her this evening, you've become her enemy!" She was refering to her granddaughter who was studying in a French international school in Kuala Lumpur.

After awhile, Julia in a lovely dress like a princess appeared from upstairs. As usual, this five-year-old little girl could not stand still. Were there any audition for a western version of "Journey To The West" drama, I would strongly recommend her to play the leading role...

It was not easy for me to persuade her to sit beside me even a minute to pose together for a picture. Nevertheless, I succeeded.

She finally settled down when a guest let her play with her iphone. When I saw her holding the shoulder of another guest's toddler son, I remembered the evening when David was around.

I was not familiar at all with Thanksgiving Day, which is a harvest festival celebrated primarily in North America. Having lived in the United States for many years, Emmy and Felix still keep this tradition of holding a special gathering with family and friends on the fourth Thursday in November.

At 8.30pm, Emmy was still in the kitchen with the maids! I wanted to take a picture of her with the turkey, a must main dish, which had cost them RM150. But she said, "No, no! I haven't taken a shower." At 9.30pm when we were finally called to the dining tables, the big bird was already cut into pieces and slices.

The grand meal consisted of many home dishes.

When I saw the variety of dishes, I understood why our host had to get up as early as seven o'clock to start the preparations. And when I tasted the meat, mashed potatoes, gratin and salad, I told myself that it had been worth waiting two hours in the living room with appetizers.

Three different desserts and ice-cream were awaiting us after the salty food. This time, I was very moderate to just take the flan, one of Emmy's most popular specialities.

According to Emmy, I was the only friend of theirs being present there. The other guests were actually their son's friends whom they had known for years. I stayed until midnight to continue to chat with the hosts and some of the guests. I thank God for this couple's friendship, hospitality, and most of all His every blessing to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This just the begining. There are more blessings awaits you.