Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Two Stone-Age Ladies

About three weeks ago, I sent an SMS to my former secondary school classmate and best friend SN who was working in Singapore to wish her a happy birthday. I also asked her if she would like to be added in the Sanli group email list to be updated of any information we passed around among ourselves.

She texted me back, "...I am from stone age, no MSN, no Facebook, no digital camera... What a life..."

Since recent years, I have been using a few online chatting tools and social networking websites to keep in touch with my friends and family members. Last year soon after I had started this blog, I bought a digital camera which motivated me to take pictures to illustrate my entries and to give me ideas when writing descriptive or narrative articles.

So, I replied to her assuring that neither was I IT savvy, but with a little usage of the new technology I was able to share my ideas with others more easily. Since our graduation in the end of 1994, we had hardly seen each other. Our two-way long-distance communication evoluted from letters, emails to occasional SMS messages.

Nowadays she was keeping up with my blog to learn about my recent life. Even though she had never visited me in Melaka, she had a rough idea of my house by looking at pictures in my blog. She seemed to like it.

When I told her I was living in that house without air-conditioner, the Internet connection and washing machine, she replied,

"Oh no... I can live without air con and TV but not the Internet and washing machine."

Now you are sure to find two stone-age ladies in Singapore and Melaka respectively.

No comments: