Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mother's Day

Last year on Mother's day, I made a promise to Mum that I would correct my hot temper. And for the first time, I told her Jesus loves her. Since then, I learnt to honour her in God's way. She must have noticed my radical change within one year of being Jesus' disciple, for she is still keeping my message in her cell phone.

This year, Leong's family were going to prepare a steamboat dinner on 9 May to celabrate with Mum. Ping would not be back to Batu Pahat that weekend. Nobody was expecting Seng to give Mum any surprise. Though I was around, I did not plan to treat her with another grand meal. On the contrary, I was even going to offer her a packet of slimming products to reduce her tummy!

About ten days before Mother's day, I telephoned Mum from Melaka.

"I'm going to book you on 10 May morning... Please make yourself available between 10am and 1pm..."

The programme I arranged was to bring her to Berean.

There was a special sermon for Mother's day by a guest speaker from Kluang. The preacher shared her own testimony of how she had brought up her three very young sons after her husband, the only financial provider, had died of a heart attack. Under God's grace, this poor single mother had managed to get an accountant's job without any knowledge of it. Those who used to despise her were now envious of her car, house and children of high education. And the greatest succes in her life was that her whole family were serving God faithfully.

At the end, Pastor Ruth called upon all the mothers to be prayed for, who were also given a small bunch of flowers by the preacher and a bag of packed gift by Berean.

That afternoon, when I told Mum to pray in Jesus' name in any languages she wanted whenever she felt a need, she showed me a prayer printed in a brochure that a member of Berean had passed to her two weeks earlier when she had first gone there. I was very touched by her initiative to get to know our Father God.

In the evening, Mum was going to attend a wedding dinner. She looked gorgeous with her clothes and make-up. But above all, God's love was reflecting at her radiant face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh this is cool!! I am sure your mum would be happy with that and you too =)