Friday, May 29, 2009

Two Lost-And-Found Cars I

Yesterday SR did not contact me at all. I was not disappointed. She was driving her own car now, that was what mattered to her most. But I feel compelled to testify the miracle that God had done for her, and an earlier one for my sister Ping.

I clearly remember on 6 March morning, I arrived at the parking with my carpool colleague SS when we saw SR. The first thing she told us was that her car had been stolen in Kuala Lumpur the previous day. What had added more to the drama was that a suitcase which contained the spare car key, clothes and documents, her Macintosh laptop, the exam papers that she had just started marking, some newly packed fast food, etc had gone missing together with the car!

In the past, I would do nothing besides expressing verbally my sympathy to SR. This time, I took this sad news as a good opportunity to pray for a miracle in God's glory. As SR was going to the new academic office to collect other bundles of exam papers, I said to her, "After that, come to my office. I'd like to talk to you."

SR appeared in my office not long after I had entered it. I started to tell her how my sister, whose car was the same model as SR's, had also been a victim of car theft two times in Johor Bahru last two years. The second time, instead of helplessly letting her pay a big sum of ransom again to the syndicate through an ex-gangster "friend" who had some contact with them, I suggested to her to seek God first, then the police, to get back her car. It was the first time I told her nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1:37), that Jesus will do anything we ask in His name (John 14:14) and that He wants us to love our enemies (Matthew 5:44).

Ping followed my advice to pray for it, lodge the police report and even ask God to bless the culprits. Several days later, her "friend" announced to her that her car would be returned to her unconditionally and instructed her to go to a place to take it. She had mixed feelings at the sight of her recovered car. On one hand, she was relieved that her transportation problem had been solved. On the other hand, she felt that this car had brought her so many bad lucks. I simply said to her, "Since God has sent this car back to you, that means He still wants you to be its driver."

My sister is still keeping this car. But after that miracle, she did not become a Christian, nor went to church. Maybe she was thinking that despite the prayers, the "friend", whom we had suspected of being also involved in the car theft, would still had asked the syndicate to return the car out of fear of the police investigation.

SR commented that she also thought the found car was most probably due to the police report. Looking at her, I said, "As a Christian, I believe in the power of prayer. There was no doubt to me that God had intervened after we had asked His help. As your Christian friend, what I offer you now is also the prayer. Since I had a successful case with my sister, I believe God can also do a miracle for you. There are so many cars stolen in Malaysia every day, you know how tiny the chance is to have your car found by only depending on the police."

SR knocked her head.

"If you're willing, we're going to pray for your car and other belongings. If you really get them back, it'll still be your free will whether to believe my God or not. I just share with you what I believe. Anyway you've learnt about the story of the children of Israel led by Moses out of Egypt. Even after they have seen so many miracles with their own eyes, they were still lack of faith."

I continued, "Of course, if nothing happens after we've prayed, I'll even have less to say if you don't believe my God."

No comments: