Thursday, May 7, 2009

Oh, Man! Where Are You?

When I was a student in France, Ernest used to talk to me about God's love. I never felt that he sounded like a preacher. Now, when it was my turn to talk about how God's words had changed my life and to encourage him to read the Bible that he had left on the shelf among his reference books, he found me religious.

In an email in March, Ernest wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------
I imagine Lee Sah in black robes, surrounded by a pile of books symbolizing the knowledge of the Bible. On that coming day, we'll be very proud of you...
---------------------------------------------------------------

It made me smile. At the same time, I also seriously thought of this question "How to serve God full-time without being a pastor?" I like to tell people about God's love but I would not see myself preaching to a congregation inside the four walls of a church building.

The answer became clearer when I started reading the book "Oh, Man! Where Are You?" that I had bought from the "Su Fes" bookstore one month later.

The author wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------
If you are willing to open the Bible to read through it, you'll realize that the whole Bible is turning around a main topic. That is, God is looking for man.

One who serves God full-time, regardless of the service, as long as he insists that he does it for the sake of the Gospel, that he may share in its blessings (1 Corinthians 9:23), is a preacher, a full-time preacher.

Even if our jobs do not seem to relate to the faith and look like any other secular jobs, we don't define our jobs as holy or not.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The author used examples in the Bible to show that serving God full-time does not necessarily mean to give up our talents and skills like Simon and Andre who immediately left their nets and followed Jesus.

The writer also mentioned a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias who had received a vision from God to lay his hands on Saul, so that Saul's sight was recovered and that he was filled with the Holy Spirit. (Acts 9:10-17)

This book inspired me to be another Ananias that God can use to touch one person at each time, who, like Saul later become Paul, might reach out to thousands of people.

Knowing that God is forever looking for men, I shouted to Him in my heart, "Father! Here I am. I'm willing to serve you full-time with the language talent you've given to me!"

Do you hear God's calling?

No comments: