Thursday, August 7, 2008

Neuves-Granges: Afternoon Walk III

During that afternoon walk, I really had a strong desire to hold Ernest and Nicole's hands for the first time since I had known them. To me who was not very used to physical contact, I would not have done it spontaneously, but rather planned first.

On our way back to the house, I was left behind busy rubbing my muddy shoes against the grass to remove the dirt. When I was ready for the opportunity, I approached them from behind and said, "Let me hold your hands."

I think my gesture was a pleasant surprise to them, especially Ernest, for he knew very well that I did not even kiss him on the cheeks as a morning greeting, nor let him do it. Without hesitation, he extended his right hand and held my left hand

while Nicole's left hand held my right hand.

I could feel warmth from these two elderly who, by family, were not related to me, yet treated me like their daughter. In my mind, there was another scene of holding hands which took place in Batu Pahat around twenty years ago...

With Ernest and Nicole, that was a pact of fellowship and friendship between us. I pray that I can hold their hands again soon.