Thursday, August 14, 2008

Melaka: Extended Mission From France

Less than forty-eight hours after I was back from France, I had another "mission": To receive the Cambodian French Goy's second son Kimly in Melaka.

Before his departure, he had obtained my email address through the Toitot to ask me about the water, safety, international driving licence, etc in Malaysia. He was going to spend a few months in the USM in Penang for a practical training as a requirement of his Master's course. I answered his questions as precisely as possible and invited him to Melaka when he was free during one of the weekends, not forgetting to mention my intention of going to France during my semester break.

When he arrived in Malaysia during the Chinese New Year celebration month, Kimly emailed me telling me that he was very glad to discover his first Asian country. Since he was going to spend around six months here, I thought we would easily find occasions to meet once he was settled down. In April, when Kimly contacted me again to ask whether I was available on one of the weekends, I had already been taken by another appointment and the only dates I could suggest to him were the ones near to the date of my travelling to France. Kimly in his turn already had other plans. We decided, therefore, that we would only meet after my return from France.

Even then, our choice of dates to meet was still limited, for Kimly had scheduled to visit Hong Kong and Beijing before he put an end to his stay in Malaysia in early July. In order to keep my promise to receive him in Melaka, there I was leaving Batu Pahat on 16 June at six o'clock in the morning to reach the Sentral bus station two hours later.

I had no idea how he was like physically since I had last seen him as a teenager more than six years ago. Boys change a lot when they grow to be adults. Anyway, I was not worried to pick the wrong person since there would not be many who could answer if I asked "Good morning, are you Kimly?" in French.

Kimly sent me a message through his cell phone to tell me that he was waiting for me inside the bus station. Upon my arrival in Melaka city, he called to confirm that he would be in the McDonald's. When I entered the fast food restaurant, I first came across a guy who could not really fit into Nicole's description of Kimly as "very tall, thin and handsome". When I stepped in further, I saw the back of a tall and thin guy alone with a bag on the floor.

"He is the one." I walked to his front, confident with my instinct.

"Bonjour, Kimly!"

"Salut, Lee Sah!"

Our greetings and smiles confirmed that my French friend was now safe with me.

2 comments:

kimly said...

yaaaay!! I was waiting for you for more than one hour, but it was definitely worth it. It was so so nice to meet you again after six long years. \(^o^)/

Poly said...

"Tall and thin", and how about the handsome part? haha