Sunday, August 24, 2008

Melaka: Old Town II

The Jalan Hang Jebat, with another popular name of Jonker's Street, has an ordinary look during daytime.

Towards the end of the week, this antique row where you can find three-hundred-year-old artifacts become very animated because of the increase of tourists and the stalls in front of the shops which light the whole street up. It used to make me excited to buy all kind of cute objects when I first came to Melaka. This is also the place where I experienced a crazy count-down with Melakan friends at the New Year Eve of 2006 and where I received free mandarins with Edidav just before the Chinese New Year of 2007.

Kimly only spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in Melaka. Regrettably, he would miss the night market. Never mind, we could still discover some interesting sites.

When I first came to Melaka, I was very impressed by the length of some old shop lots and I loved to visit the interior of these buildings. From the entry of a shop, you must walk past one or two courtyards before you can reach the toilet! There were two courtyards that I wanted to show him particularly. The first one was inside a souvenir shop;

The other one was inside a restaurant which was like a Chinese palace.

As we stayed there quite some time to take pictures

and pose everywhere,

we felt that it would be more polite just to have our lunch there, though I knew that the decoration of this franchise restaurant

was more appealing than its dishes which were not as nice as the two other chicken rice balls restaurants on the same road.

Even the chef was wondering whether he could sell more ducks or chickens.

I was not a fan of rice balls. I remember Dad thought that those were fish balls when he first saw them! After Kimly had tried this Melakan speciality, he agreed with me that normal rice was tastier.

No comments: