Thursday, August 28, 2008

Melaka: Unplanned Visit II

I was still full with Indian snacks that Shiv had offered to us earlier. But Kimly who usually skipped breakfast and only ate two meals a day would definitely need a heavy dinner to charge him up until the following lunch time. The Newton foodcourt was just opposite the Taming Sari tower to offer him a wide choice.

There were two sections: Chinese food and "halal" food. So far everytime I went there, I always searched for my own roots.

Kimly first ordered sizzling noodles. When I thought of taking a picture of the dish, he was already attacking his second order, claypot noodles.

I was not surprised at his appetite. When I first came back from France, I also noticed that the serving in Malaysia was half the size of the serving in France. But the price was at least five times less. Thanks to the humble Asian portions, I succeeded in losing all the extra weight that I had gained with my enlarged stomach.

Kimly loved all types of noodles. As his parents raised him up as a Chinese, he had no problem eating with chopsticks.

Doesn't his look remind you of one of your cousins or your friend's brother in Malaysia?

It was still early to go back. We returned to the A Famosa area to have the night view.

The Maritime Museum sent me back to the sixteenth century when the Portuguese navigators placed their feet on Melaka ground.

There were hardly any other visitors at the historical sites. People seemed to more enjoy shopping inside the Pahlawan Mall.

The staircase leading to St Paul Church was not illuminated. We were not sure if that was to discourage us from climbing upstairs. However, we managed to reach the ruins again in the dark. The full moon was just behind the statue of St Francis Xvier.

We tried to take a few pictures from different angles to produce funny effects: St Francis with an aureole,

a shining ball on Kimly's head

and in my hands.

Later when I told my colleague about this, she said that actually it was forbidden to go up there at night, for safety and probably religious reasons.

Thank God we were not caught by the religious officers. Anyway, I would have argued that we were three, not two.

With St Francis, of course.

1 comment:

kimly said...

you still remember all the details. :)