Sunday, August 24, 2008

Melaka: Old Town I

I had never thought that I would get a job in Melaka. God's arrangement turned out perfect and I really enjoy living in this small state which shares the same border with my home state Johor.

After I had settled in Paya Rumput, the middle of Melaka town and my working place, I was encouraged by the location to receive my friends and family in Melaka, especially these two years. I was more keen to drive more than ten kilometres for any activities. When there were guests in my house, bringing them to visit tourist spots would be a must. There was no exception for Kimly.

The road in the old town being very narrow,

I preferred to leave my car at a private parking lot where I only paid RM2 for the whole day.

We began our visit on foot by entering the three historical monuments in the same Jalan Tukang Emas (Goldsmith's street)

which basically represent the religions of the three major ethnics in the Peninsular: the Malays,

the Chinese,

and the Indians.

Kimly was interested in taking detail of the religious buildings in pictures, while I was more attracted by the blacksmith' shops in the Jalan Tukang Besi which was name after the old profession.

which evoked the tools museum in Nans-sous-Sainte-Anne. I imagined that Ernest and Nicole would be excited to see the making of our Malaysian tools.

One of the corner shops was this Orang Utan. Kimly had heard about the name when he was in Penang. He decided to buy a few T-shirts designed by our local artist as the most practical souvenirs from Melaka.

We crossed the Melaka river

to the Stadthuys, a well-preserved Dutch vestige of the Far East.

The Christ Church, the most popular picture in the Melaka postcards, is an exquisite piece of Dutch architecture.

In case you still doubt that the trace was left by the Dutch, there is another proof: the windmill!

So far, this was the only place where policemen looked relaxed.

I had never taken any ride of these trishaws in Melaka. Their striking colours and the songs they played sometimes really cheered up these salmon-coloured colonial buildings.

1 comment:

kimly said...

The Orang Utan shop is sooo cool, I definitely LOVE the design of the tshirts. I'll be more next time i'll go to melaka :p