Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ready To Fly Again

Before I left France in 2008, Ernest jokingly said to me, "Stay single so that you can come back often." I laughed and simply told him and Nicole that I would try to visit them once every two years.

Two years later, I am still not married but somehow I did not have a strong desire to plan for a trip to France. Nevertheless, I went to a travel agency in March to check the airfare. As the lowest with transit would cost me a few hundred ringgit more than what I had paid the previous time, I did not make a decision on the spot. After I turned to online ticketing and found slightly cheaper offer, I emailed the couple asking them if they would be available to receive me two weeks between May and June. A few days later, I got a reply from Ernest, "From XX to XX it's ok for us...I've already informed everybody and in advance they are rejoicing at your coming..."

I did not do the e-booking immediately, waiting for the price to drop. On 5 April, when I returned from my afternoon class and sat in front of the computer, I noticed for the first time that the all-inclusive airfare was below RM3000 which matched my budget. I could not believe my eyes! My heart was palpitating. So I took a deep breath and started keying in all the required detail. The moment I was clicking the button to place my purchase order, I said a prayer, "Father God, if this is Your will to let me go to France this time, make everything smooth."

The screen jammed instantly.

After awhile, the following words appeared, "An error occurred... We'll contact you very soon..."

It was dramatic but I believed God was the one behind the suspense. Two days later, I received an email from the company telling me that the booking had not been successful and suggesting alternative fares which were at least RM200 more. I was disappointed but as I had already made up my mind to buy the ticket only if it was cheaper than RM3000, I did not accept their offer.

That Friday I was on leave in Batu Pahat. I renewed my passport, which was going to expire in July, at the immigration office early in the morning before I brought Mum to the hospital for a checkup. The cardiologist was on duty there only in the afternoon. After the early registration I suddenly had the idea to bring Mum for a tour to replace my solitary trip if the result of the diagnosis would not disallow her to travel inside Asia.

We drove to a travel agency to take some brochures of two destinations which seemed to be suitable for Mum to explore with me. I also consulted airfares to Paris. The tickets to this European city remained expensive. I said to Mum, "Since I've got my passport renewed, I'm definitely going to fly somewhere whether with you or alone."

That afternoon, both of us came out from the hospital with a relieved heart. The next morning, we returned to the travel agency to find out more about the package of the second country where we had never been and did not understand the local language, which fulfilled the requirement of my criteria of exoticism.

Before I was back to Melaka again, I left my new passport with Mum to deal with the employees for the following steps. Very soon I learnt about the Iceland volcano eruption which had been causing airline disruptions throughout Europe. I began to understand better why God wanted to prevent me from traveling to France during this period. When Mum telephoned me in the end of last month to inform me that the booking and the deposit had been settled without any problem, I knew that our trip was definitive.

Now I needed to explain to Nicole and Ernest who, despite their disappointment, thought I was right to trust God. I still keep the hope to see them this year if there is an occasion.

When I shared my testimony with Siew Hong, she was very glad that I had chosen to spend my holiday with my own mother instead of other people's parents.

This is going be my belated Mother's Day present for Mum. I thank God for His guidance which is always the best and His financial blessing through my family.

I am ready to fly again.

No comments: