Saturday, May 29, 2010

South Korea: Shopping Streets and Markets

During our tour, we were given about one hour to visit by ourselves each of the shopping areas like Chuncheon Myeongdong Street,

Sinchon College Street,

Seoul Myeongdong Street

and Dongdaemun Mall.

As I did not intend to dress up like South Korean ladies, many of whom looked alike in their latest fashion and hairstyle, and I would spend two hours reading a book rather than putting makeup or doing skincare like some of them do, I ended up window shopping with Mum who preferred other different things and whose interest I also tried to cater to. However, regardless of our age, both of us were attracted by those cosmetic shops in front of which young girls in uniforms were smilingly giving free samples to passers-by who were willing to enter and carry the small shopping baskets to look at their products... Later in Jeju Island, I managed to seize an opportunity to go alone to a shopping centre near our hotel and bought two comfortable discounted T-shirts for myself.

Some of our group members had unpleasant experiences with Korean shopkeepers. According to them, they were treated rudely or even chased out from the shop. Even though I had not witnessed any of their scenes, based on my observation, I guessed our Malaysian aunties must have crowded those boutiques and talked too loudly in their Chinese dialects, which made the reserved Korean locals uncomfortable.

Walking around markets was more enjoyable. I loved to learn what South Koreans, who never hear of fried bananas in their country, eat as street snacks.

Mum and I bought a sweet and juicy pear from this stall called "Fat Auntie's stall". The plump woman sitting in the middle of her fruits, which resembled her big and round body, was also offering free samples. She drew customers easily without having to wear a cute skirt.

Dear Mr tour leader and Mr tour guide, next time please bring our Malaysian aunties to markets, not boutiques.

No comments: