Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Melaka: Portuguese Settlement

After the Calvary Care Home boys' fellowship, Sis Christine suggested that we went to the Portuguese Settlement for a walk.

I used to bring friends who came to visit me in Melaka to this cultural heritage site where many descendants of the Portuguese lived as fishermen. Having eaten at restaurants there twice, I still remembered the good taste of their seafood and Portuguese-style curry pork.

I had not been to the coast at Ujong Pasir for more than one year.

A new jetty had been built.

A beautiful tiled path was leading to it.

Standing at the jetty, the three boys discovered a water snake in the muddy bank.

This time, they could only say "hi" to the reptile which was slithering rapidly. They had no chance to torture it like they had done to its cousin last November.

According to Sis Christine, she herself was an photophobe. So I asked my faithful camera boy Luke to take a picture of myself alone.

Then I joined in the scene with Albert P and Andrew C who had known each other long before they were aware of my existence.

When the boys grew into adults, they might like to show their faces together, instead of their buttocks, in front of the camera.

Paul was still willing to squeeze a Mona Lisa's smile when I wanted to photograph him individually.

Actually Albert would like all the boys to pose next to a lamp-post at the same time. But only Luke was cooperative. If accompanied by pop music, I was sure that he would be singing and dancing on the spot!

The next few minutes, this Tamil movie star transformed into Frankenstein when he climbed up from the deck of the jetty.

When we were leaving, the sun was not yet setting. More tourists would arrive to have their dinner there when the night fell.

This outing was an occasion for me to breathe in some warm sea breeze in Melaka which I enjoyed more than artificial cold air in those crowded shopping malls. I look forward to embracing the nature again.

No comments: