Monday, November 8, 2010

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me

Three Saturdays ago, John SMSed me, asking me if I could bring extra bread for Luke's cousin Joel who had just joined Calvary Care Home (CCH) and would be joining the Sunday service. The next morning, I met this little boy for the first time when I reached the church. The other boys teasingly called him Mark because of his striking resemblance to Luke's elder brother in his childhood. I had not known Mark when he was small, so my first impression of Joel was his friendly face and tiny frame. Even I was bigger in size as a girl at the same age.

Joel was not shy to sit next to me, nor talk to me. So when I knew that he had to do the warden service, I decided to stay with him near the entrance of the main sanctuary to train him before he received the influence from some of his seniors who were getting less serious in the job.

"Stand properly all the time. When you see a car coming in, wave and smile. When you see people walking, say 'good morning'. Never mind if they take no notice..." I felt that I was communicating to my nephew Zer Yih when he was nine years old.

The following Sunday, Joel was wearing a grey blouse and grey pants. Standing next to a pillar, this youngest but most dutiful warden would be physically unnoticed if not for his shining eyes, grinning teeth, the big fluorescent green jacket and white shoes.

However, more and more Calvarites realised the presence of the cutie and responded by smiling or waving back. Sis Fei Gin who had spent nine years previously at CCH approached us to give the comment that Joel looked like the younger version of Mark.

That morning, I was also in charge of Joel's devotion. As he could hardly understand English, I taught him to pronounce the words and explain in Bahasa Malaysia. Then I asked him to copy the verse from the book and its translation, and read it repeatedly.

When we were back to CCH from the afternoon outing, I asked Joel to write down the verse in another exercise book. I helped him in the spelling.

This smart boy still remembered most of the words and their meaning!

Five days later when I dropped by at CCH, Joel came to me at the dining room.

"Auntie, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13. I memorise it every day..." He had learned the New King James version of the verse by heart!

I was very encouraged by this child's perseverance despite the language obstacle.

Father God, whenever I face a trial, please remind me of Joel's testimony so that I continue to believe that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

5 comments:

albert peh said...

I am very encouraged by Joel. Yesterday afternoon I tested him the verse taught by Lee Sah and memorised. He could recalled all correctly and understood what it meant. Oh God, keep this boy from all the evil influences around him and protect him until he grows into a godly man mighty in your kingdom.

Michan said...

Wah! Albert. You tested Joel so fast. Thank God he managed to answer. Otherwise, I would be kicked out as his teacher, haa!

DustyBuckeye said...

i really missing all the boys..:(

JJ said...

we have to work together and input more godly to joel ^^

JJ said...

let's believe in God. Lets have faith with action........^-^