Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Attending An Unusual Concert By The Eden Rejoicing Chorus

Last Wednesday when I went to "Su Fes" bookstore, the shopkeeper Sis SY kindly blessed me with an entrance ticket to a concert by a Taiwanese Christian chorus which consisted of four blind members.

It was held the next day at 8pm at Pay Fong High School. As the venue was near my workplace, I stayed back after office hours to go there directly. I was among the few who arrived early. So I chose a middle front seat. After awhile, I saw Lih Gin, a Calvarite whom I had known when serving at the children's church two years ago. She also turned up with her colleagues to support this event. She came to sit next to me.

The choristers were having a simple rehearsal to get themselves familiar with the place. I was very touched by their mutual trust and care when I saw them walking onto the stage, holding one another's hand.

They could sing as well as play the piano.

The hall was slowly filled with the Chinese speaking crowd. To start the programme, the chorus leader introduced his group and led the audience to sing a few praise songs in their Taiwanese dialect and Mandarin.

I knew one of the songs thanks to the CDs which my MLM classmate Alan N had given me. Despite my broken Hokkien, I was very excited to sing along.

Next, all the four choristers presented a Taiwanese folk song and Christian worship songs together by using their respective beautiful tenor, soprano, alto and baritone voices.

Listening to the flute, my favorite musical instrument, was another moment I enjoyed very much.

This sister in Christ gave her testimony of her low self-esteem when she was a child, her loss of eyesight due to an accident in school and later her wonderful born again life in Jesus.

A short video showed the aim of the Eden Social Welfare Foundation, through their fundraising, to bless blind people in countries under development with special walking sticks. Instead of buying an album or two of the chorus, I decided to contribute the money to the fund. That night, they raised about two thousand ringgit in Melaka. Praise the Lord!

After this unusual concert, I understood better the purpose of the Eden Rejoicing Chorus which is "to tell people in the world that, even when their eyes cannot see, there can still be light, love and songs. Therefore, they always hold a light in their hearts and bring light to the hearts of people who are in darkness."

No comments: