Monday, November 1, 2010

Revision Week At Calvary Care Home

Last week was the final exam week in David's school. I thought he had learned sufficiently from the tuition centre in addition to his classes in school. After I heard that he expressed the desire to have someone to guide him in his revision, I was more than happy to volunteer myself.

When I went to Calvary Care Home (CCH) last Monday, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, I found back those good old days when I first stepped into the Home as Wilson's tutor. Some other boys then sat around the same table to either do their homework or drawing. Slowly I chatted with them and memorised their names one by one. This year, though I was physically with them many hours a week, especially on Sundays, the quality time I spent with them was actually much less.

David told me that his learning speed in mathematics could not catch up with the teaching progress. It was a pity that I had only realised it at the end of the year. Thinking of my own experience, I knew nothing was too late. I always thank God for giving me the ability to understand maths on my own and do calculations very fast even though I seldom paid attention to my teachers when I was in school. And I still remembered most of the formulas! It was a pleasure for me to sit next to my "son" to teach him this favorite subject of mine.

A focused student, David was willing to stay at the table for more than two hours to listen to my explanation and then do exercise. As a result, we managed to cover several chapters.

Another pair of tutor-student also appeared in the dining room. Luke who should be doing revision like David was more keen to teach English to his cousin who had newly joined the Calvary Care family.

I said to Luke, "If you expect Joel to study, you should be setting a good example first."

Daniel also busied himself into the cousins' business.

After awhile, the main supervisor began to shout and the assistant was more interested in eating the cake. Very soon, all the three were chased to the living room to leave David and me some peace.

I pray that one day these two bigger boys would be concerned and patient to do their own homework and studies as much as they were on others'.

1 comment:

JJ said...

amen! i hope when i leave david will show a good example to the others. i have faith in you david,hope you'll be a blessing to the others!