Friday, June 11, 2010

Bye-bye! South Korea

During our seven days in South Korea, we had three different drivers due to the change of places and buses. But like Mum said to Jeson in the bus, "We don't mind that the driver isn't the same. But we don't want you to be changed."

Indeed, this tour guide who loved history had introduced all the spots we visited in a lively way. I was the only one in our group of tourists who took notes of the information he gave us orally in the bus.

His grave voice must have an amazing hypnotising power. Many of our elderly group members dozed off as soon as he opened his mouth. And they woke up automatically when he finished talking! Though neither Mum was very interested in listening to Jeson's explanation, she was quite responsive when he asked questions. Through this South Korean guy who revealed to us some of his family background and personal life, I caught a glimpse of the melancholic past and the more cheerful present of his country.

Before this trip, I thought South Korea was very similar to Japan. Now, I have realised that the two neighbouring countries are actually very distinct in terms of cuisine, service, public facilities, etc.

I wished to explore the territory longer and tell you more about my discoveries but I already had to say bye-bye to this land on the 27th May 2010.

Hopefully, I will have a second occasion to admire the charm of this country for my own episode of the autumn or winter sonata.

No comments: