Sunday, March 1, 2009

Morning Walk With Mum

I was planning my weekend in Batu Pahat. As I was going to attend Ah Ban's wedding dinner on Saturday and be one of the "brothers" to fetch his bride in the morning, I thought I would bring Mum out either for dinner

or/and for a stroll at the park in town on Friday night like I did last year.

Thursday morning, Ah Ban's mother suddenly passed away and thus his wedding was postponed.

Since I would reach Batu Pahat quite late on Friday, I preferred to carry out my usual activity with Mum on Saturday mornings. That was to go to the Lotus Lake. When my third brother Leong's family is free on Sunday mornings, they also bring Mum there before breakfast.

We both got up at 6am. Mum picked her clothes, consulting me about her choice. Even though it was only a morning walk, Mum never neglected her attire as she knew she was going to meet a few acquaintances in that public place. After Dad's passing, she realized that nice clothes were to be displayed on the body, not to be kept in the cupboard because tomorrow was so unpredictable that we might not have a chance to wear them anymore.

We left home half an hour later. It was still dark but the parking was already full. We managed to slip our car between two vehicles at the roadside.

Before the exercise, we always went to two fruit and vegetable stalls, one in front of the main entrance and the other near the side entrance. She was the customer who spent the longest time choosing guavas, papayas, bananas, passion fruits or leafy vegetables packed in plastic bags. Sometimes I really admired her patience for that. But I still nagged her when she was checking every single packet of celery in the hypermarket!

She only gained her mood to walk around the lake after I had put all the fresh food into the car. The sky had also brightened.

This lake was a former tin mine. When I was small, it was famous with its lotus plants which provided excellent fodder to numerous species of fishes there. Dad used to take pictures and write articles on this popular spot for his newspaper. Ironically, he was rarely willing to join us there for a morning walk, thinking that it would be a waste of time and a delay in his daily reading. Only during his last days that we obliged him to go there to do some exercise in the fresh air. But he was not able to enjoy the beautiful scenery anymore.

Despite the surrounding cemented path and trees,

the lake had lost its charm without the lotus plants which had all been removed by the town council many years ago. Now It looked rather dull with its murky water.

Nonetheless, this lake still attracted the crowd especially on weekends. People came here for all sorts of activities: jogging, walking, dating, badminton, aerobics, martial arts, etc.

There were also some newly built facilities for adults

as well as children.

We chatted while walking around the lake for several rounds before Mum felt tired. Then we would find a bench to sit on and rest for awhile.

We often met my primary school principal, one of my secondary school teachers or Mum's friends. They were either alone or in couple, none with their children. Mum must be proud when one of them enviously called me her bodyguard.

I thank God that Mum is still around for me to be her bodyguard.

I thank God that my job enables me to see her frequently.

I thank God that I can give Mum more love that I used to keep only for Dad.

I thank God that the older Mum gets, the younger she looks.

I thank God that I have realized at my age that the time I spend with Mum gives her more smiles than the money I put into her hands.

I thank God that I listen to Mum more, and argue with her less.

I thank God who teaches me to honour Mum in the present, not when she is gone.

How long have you not gone for a walk with your mother?

No comments: