Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Never Bored With My Nephew And Niece I

My brother Leong was going to fly to China for a short course. He would not be around during the one-week school holidays. My sister-in-law Li Chia would still like to take their children for vacation but she was not brave enough to drive a long distance. So she brought them, together with their maid, and invited Mum to come to Melaka by bus.

Their departure time was 8.15am. Based on my experience with the express bus, their journey from Batu Pahat to Melaka would take two hours. My prediction was accurate, for I did not have to wait long at the Sentral bus terminal before seeing the bus with the familiar motif of orchid approaching the place to drop the passengers.

There my visitors arrived!

When I saw my nephew and niece's expressive faces behind the window glass,

I knew that my following days with their presence were not going to be the quiet ones...

Zer Yih grimaced as usual when I wanted to take a picture of him.

While Zer Nin's toothy grin was hilarious with a new hole in her teeth!

Actually the her foretooth had started moving several days before the trip. While she was bending towards the front seat to chat with her brother in the bus, the driver braked. Her mouth accidentally knocked the back of the chair which caused the tooth so mobile that only little effort was needed by her mother to pull it out completely. Thank God the pain and bleeding were minor.

We had to cross the bridge leading to the parking of Tesco hypermarket to get my car. The children were excited to view the busy roads from several meters high.

I had prayed for good weather despite this rainy season. If the rain still fell, I would just leave them in the shopping malls. As God was blessing us with a sunny morning, I decided to drive them to the Jonker Street for a walk and lunch. Mum and Li Chia bought local specialities, namely palm sugar, salted vegetables and a few types of cookies.

When the sun was hitting our heads more and more, we entered a restaurant to have some cendol (red bean grated ice and sweeties made with glutinous rice).

Our table was near a staircase where household objects of Mum's childhood days were displayed. My sister-in-law taught the children to learn those antiquities which were also unknown to my generation.

The adults were still keen to shop but the bored children began to make noise.

Zer Yih impatiently asked when we were going back to my place while Zer Nin complained about her stomach pain. So, we decided to take our lunch though we did not feel hungry. We had to queue up in front of a famous chicken rice restaurant before having our seats.

Once we were savouring delicious food and drink again, the children calmed down. They must have been run out of energy, which caused their restlessness.

After lunch, the children were attracted by a stall in the same street where a skilled craftsman was making all kinds of decorative items with metal strings.

we also walked past a shop in a lane from which Mum and Li Chia had bought shoes during one of their previous visits in Melaka.

The little ones were impressed by the size of a pair of giant wooden sandals but they were totally ignorant of the kungfu legend Bruce Lee.

Thank God they were not initiated to any martial arts. They were already hyperactive enough!

At Tun Tan Cheng Lock Street where my car was parked, I noticed the Chinese name of an eatery "Dagu" which meant "big aunt". I told my nephew and niece, "I'm going to sell wonton noodles here later!" and excitedly posed in front of the plate.

A few steps further, Zer Yih suddenly raised his voice, "Small aunt's shop is there!" He had discovered a plate Xiaogu" in front of another restaurant.

Ping, you can also sell nyonya food in Melaka!

1 comment:

kittymiao0210 said...

Wahahaha, these two fellows are damn funny.
The shop names are so funny. I must go have a look ;)