Saturday, February 28, 2009

Salt Of The Earth V

SA was taking a nap when I telephoned to her house and had her aunt who came from Muar to help taking care of the chore. I expressed my intention to visit SA later in the afternoon. She gave the permission.

When I stepped into that familiar house, her dog in the cage near the main gates still barked very loudly. SA had just woken up and stayed in her bedroom. So I climbed upstairs for the first time.

SA looked lifeless on the armchair. A new Indonesian maid was attending her. I had already been prepared to see a frail SA, based on the description given by KC earlier and on the experience I had had with Dad who was also suffering from the final stage of cancer. However, when I thought of Marten who was still able to drive, continually sing praise to the Lord on stage and give testimonies every week, the contrast still shook me.

"Hi, sorry I wasn't able to visit you earlier. How are your sleep and appetite?"

"I'm not fine," Her reaction was a bit dull. Her voice was also much weaker than the one I had heard on the phone only two days ago. I recalled Dad who was also like that. When he talked on the phone, he would gather all his strength to give the caller impression that he was not sick at all. After hanging up, he would immediately sit back on his arm chair completely exhausted.

"I know someone in my church whose case is like yours. Lung cancer also. Now he is recovering. Would you mind if I bring him here to share with you how he has been fighting with his illness?"

"No need."

"It's OK. I don't force you then. Did you received my short message yesterday?" I had sent 'Matthew 6:34' to her cell phone.

"No, I didn't check it."

"I was just telling you 'not to worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble'. I had learnt it from the Bible and I thought this verse would comfort you and encourage you to think positively."

"I think I'm not optimistic enough."

"That's why I'm here to electrify you a bit! Just look at the blessings you have today. You'll realize that God loves you so much. You have a happy family with your husband and children, friends and relatives who care for you, a good job, a nice house and even a maid to look after you. Not everyone has all these you have." The sermon of Ps Mark of Singapore New Creation Church on DVD that I had watched recently had enlightened me a lot.

She did not say anything. So, I went on, "You know, if I also worried about tomorrow, I'd also feel very anxious. I'd keep thinking if I'd be able to find a good husband, if my job would still be stable, etc. When I'm thankful for what I have now, I really enjoy every day. Even today, I could have come with a negative mind and cried together with you. But I choose to believe that your health stands a chance to improve since you're still breathing. Don't give up because nothing is too late."

I did not wish to be long-winded and fatigue her too much. Before I left, I prayed for her as usual.

Sharing the good news that our Father God is offering us the free gift of salvation through His only begotten Son Jesus Christ is more difficult than selling a product. Many people might take out their money easily to buy something of which they are not sure of the quality. But the same people would doubtfully turn down the guaranteed and the most precious eternal life which is to be received simply by faith.

Jesus said to His disciples, "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavour, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men." (Matthew 5:13 NKJV). These two years, I appreciate more and more my brothers and sisters in Christ who have been seasoning my life with their prayers, preachings, oral or written testimonies and fellowship since I first heard about Jesus when I was a child. And I understand this verse better and better.

As long as I also claim to be the salt of the earth, I will always try to keep my flavour and add it in others' lives, including yours.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I heard about SA from our dear friend who is now working in Brunei.
She's in my prayer too.