Monday, March 23, 2009

Never Bored With My Nephew And Niece V

My visitors were leaving on Tuesday.

I had to send them to the bus station on my way to work.

Zer Nin looked lovely a baju kurung that a colleague had passed to me.

I had insisted that she put on the two-piece traditional Malay dress to draw attention later in the express bus and give a surprise to my brother Seng who was going to pick them at the terminal in Batu Pahat.

It was only over half past seven in the morning, but my nephew and niece looked much more dynamic than many of my students when I saw them in class at eight thirty...

In the car, Zer Yih kept quizzing me. He had learnt all those questions from his friends. Sometimes, it was a question of paying attention to all the words.

"How many numbers are there in the English alphabet?"

"None."

"Why?"

"Because there are only letters, not numbers."

Bingo!

"Correct. If E,T leave the alphabet, how many letters are there left?"

"Should be twenty-four but I know you're going to say 'wrong'. There must be a trick somewhere but I have no idea. Come on, tell me the answer."

"Twenty-one."

"Why?"

"Because ET leaves with UFO!"

Have you got it? OK, here is another one.

"Why is a penguin's stomach white?"

This time, I simply gave up trying.

"Because its hands are too short to reach and clean other parts of its body except for the stomach!"

Not only God's thoughts are higher than my thoughts (Isaiah 55:9), sometimes even children's are also higher than mine.

No comments: