Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Blessed Are The Maids

I was clearing rubbish in one of the guest rooms when I saw a folded paper box in the dustbin. I took it out and discovered an unfamiliar writing on the paper which was actually a page torn from the calendar near the kitchen.

"Katanya manusia diciptakan sama, mengapa derajat dibeda karena harta."

It was in Indonesian, so I knew immediately who the writer was. I did not understand two of the words there, though I could guess the global meaning. After checking the BM-English dictionary, I found the meaning of "dibeda". And after consulting a student who associated "derajat" with "darjat", I got the translation for that whole sentence.

"It is said that men are created to be equal, why are our ranks different because of wealth."

I was reading a book in the living room when I heard noise from my next door. My neighbour was scolding her maid again. I used to act as a busybody by eavesdropping until the angry voice disappeared after at least twenty minutes.

The next day, I might tell my newly-wedded colleague SS about my compassion for the maid. At first SS did not quite agree with my opinion that maids should be given freedom to talk to other people. Once, as she was complaining about the inappropriate behavior of her superior and her sister-in-law, I said, "When you don't want to complain to your husband about his sister, at least you have me or your own mother and siblings to listen to your complaints anytime. But many maids in Malaysia have nobody to whom they can release their tension of work and feelings of loneliness in this foreign land." SS could finally put herself in a maid's shoes.

This week, the non-stop scolding could be heard again when I was watching the television. I still leaned on the side gate with my ears flapping. I imagined that the maid must be asking the same question in her heart "Katanya manusia diciptakan sama, mengapa derajat dibeda karena harta?".

Instead of just shaking my head, I stretched out my hand and prayed for her and her employer so that both of them would be kind and forgiving to each other. Later, the Spirit of God reminded me about Jesus' teaching on a mountainside.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:3-10 NKJV)


That was the answer.

No comments: