Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Tailor-Made Sermon For Me

After the worship practice, PG and I went for a drink to continue our fellowship. We had a lot of things to share, among which, the topic of giving money to church.

"Lately, my pastor has been talking about moving into a new place. So, we'll need to raise fund."

"But your church is not really expending. You need more workers, not a bigger building." I gave the comment based on my observation.

"That is also what I think."

"Money is always a sensitive issue in church..." Then I began to tell PG the story of a member of my church who had left her previous church due to a money-related reason. I concluded, "Anyway, when we give, it's between us and God. Let God deal with those who use our money later."

On the way back, he told me that the Sunday morning service at Berean AOG was in Chinese and that he would go with me that weekend. It was rather good news to me, for I had been surveying Chinese churches which were not too far from my house in Batu Pahat, hoping that one day Mum might be willing to follow me to a Sunday service.

When I reached home at midnight, Mum was still awake. I asked her if she would join me to the church service the next day. Again, she turned down my offer because she wanted to prepare a soup and a dessert in the morning. I was not discouraged. I had heard the testimony of a church member who had prayed for her husband for more than ten years before he accepted Jesus as his saviour. I claimed in Jesus' name that I did not have to wait so long to witness Mum opening her heart for God. I was to be patient with His perfect timing.

The next morning, PG and I were to Berean church. We received a warm reception from Pastor Tan and members. I had not withdrawn my salary from my bank account and there was very little money left in my wallet. So I kept aside an amount enough for the lunch I was planning to pay for PG and I later, and put the rest into the offering bag. Then Ps Tan announced that free lunch would be provided after the service. Finally God was the One who was going to pay for our meals!

Next, another minister went on stage and said, "Our church has been raising fund for the mission pledge. Until last week, the response from the Chinese service was quite disappointing and we're far from reaching the target. Today, I'm going to talk about giving to God."

I turned to PG, "I think God has purposely sent us here today."

The preacher said that "we can give without loving, but we can't love without giving" and "God is not interested in our money, but our giving hearts". I had heard that before. This time, God reinforced it in my mind.

The speaker Reverend Teo, the founder of Berean, was also sharing her testimony of how God had asked her to give all her twenty-years of savings for the church building fund for the first time, and several years later to give all her fixed deposits again to fill in the lacking amount of another fund. Each time, she cried for the money she was going to "lose" at first. But when she obeyed God, she felt peace and joy. And later not only she saw that God had transformed her "five loaves and two fishes" into greater things, God also rewarded her financially. If God asked her to give all her wealth for the third time, she would not cry anymore as she had seen the miracles.

I knew that sermon was tailor-made for me. Last month, during the altar call of a Sunday service at CLA, I stepped forward. The guest speaker's team member started praying for me. Through her spiritual discernment, God spoke to me to "let go of my worldly things". I was sure that it came from God, for I had been thinking of a sum of money that I had volunteered to lend to someone in deep debt in January.

I had learnt not to let earthly things be my idols. It was a struggle to me who had been so used to grab "my" belongings tightly, especially money. Slowly I realized that the looser my hands were, the happier my heart would be when I saw that others were blessed with what I had let go of, the more I would please God, and the more God would fill my hands again!

I was so touched by the Spirit of God that at the end of the sermon, I raised my hand to ask for a form to write down my contribution for the mission pledge. I promised Ps Tan that I would bring the money the next time I went there again, hopefully with Mum.

PG was surprised at my act, especially because I was not a member of Berean and that I was already giving my tithe and mission pledge to my church in Melaka. I explained to him that since we were all brothers and sisters in Christ, we should help one another regardless of our churches. God knew exactly how much I needed for the month and just wanted me to give my extra money to support others in need.

If I acknowledge God as the King of the Kings, I should honour Him by giving my best to Him. It is still a long learning process to me. But I sincerely thank God for teaching me by different ways to "let go of my worldly things" more and more.

No comments: