Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Malim-Cheng Cell Fellowship At Newton Foodcourt

During the first Sunday service this year, Ps James announced to the congregation the new monthly church programme. The cell meetings are held on the first two Friday evenings of each month instead of almost every Friday previously.

My Malim-Cheng cell leader Jeremiah's family wanted to start the year by hosting a pot bless as suggested by Ps James. Due to a piping problem which occurred in their house, they were not going to have water supply for a few days. As a result, we had a food gathering at Newton foodcourt at Bandar Hilir last Friday at 8pm.

In 2008, I was a member of the Young Adults cell in the beginning. For some reasons, especially my reluctance to drive alone to unfamiliar areas at night, I transferred to Cheng home cell which was later merged with Malim cell. Since, I got to know other old-timer Calvarites who lived at Malim.

My attendance to cell meetings, especially during the second half of last year, was so poor that Auntie Sally could not recognize me immediately and was wondering who I was when I arrived at their table at about 8.10pm.

I had not seen Sis Cassy for a very long time. She was attending another church. Besides my job, she was very interested to know when I was going to get married, a typical question that the married people like to ask the singles.

I answered, "I'm happy to be single. If God sends me someone, I'll be a happy married person."

Phebe commented, "You'll be happier."

I replied, "Not necessarily happier, but happy in a different way."

She nodded her head. Sis Cassy added, "True, not necessarily happier. You'll have more problems when you are married." She was sitting next to her husband Bro Steven who was savouring one dish after another. I simply concluded that where there are people, there are conflicts.

Auntie Sally, who had come with her daughter, son-in-law and grandson, also participated in our "forum". "Don't rush to get married! If you can't find a good one, it's better to stay single. After all, you're independent." I wished Mum had also told me the same thing when I telephoned her on my birthday last December to remind her that I was one year older.

"Yes! Auntie Sally. It's wiser to open my eyes big big to observe now than to open my mouth big big to nag after the marriage." I was citing my own statement I had once left on Facebook after hearing a colleague's marital problem.

Patricia smiled with a consent, while the men remained silent and preferred to open their mouths only to swallow the delicious food.

Our youngest single cell member Jaden also completely ignored the adults' boring conversations. The only concern this five-year-old boy had there and then was the big bowl of his favorite fish porridge.

My presence brought out another topic which was about Calvary Care Home (CCH). Uncle Kok who used to be a CCH committee member in the past recalled how thin Isaac and Joseph were when they were small. He emphasised that at the age of 77, he was already old. I mentioned Uncle Seelan who had reached 85 this year to assure Uncle Kok that he was still young.

That evening, I was not keen to taste the specialities there because my stomach was still very full with a piece of David's birthday chocolate cake and some dhal curry I had eaten at CCH just before I went to the foodcourt. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the gathering very much. On my way home, I had a chance to chat with Sis Alice to whom I gave a lift.

In this year of increase, let's increase our fellowship!

No comments: