Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Life In 2010 -- A Year Of Courage, Collaboration, Competence And Commitment

Early last year during the MLM class, I learnt that 2010 was a year of courage, collaboration, competence and commitment. Now when I look back the past twelve months, these words, given by God, were truly reflected in my life.

Courage:
I had the ability to confront fear, uncertainty, intimidation and discouragement, which I had not experienced so strongly since 1995 when I had first stepped into a foreign land.

I shall continue to ask myself a few questions:

1. Do I stand up for what is right even if I stand alone?
2. Do I cave in to negative peer pressure?
3. Does fear of failure prevent me from trying things?
4. Am I afraid to express myself just because some people might disapprove?
5. Do I work to solve problems without violence?
6. Do I intentionally ridicule, embarrass, or hurt others?
( from
www.GoodCharacter.com)

Collaboration:
From a lone ranger who went to Calvary Care Home (CCH) as a tutor in 2009, I began to cooperate with other caregivers who have a vision for the Home. And through the MLM classes which I had been attending faithfully, I became a member of Melaka team for Project Harap.

I shall not forget that an effective team
1. cares for one another.
2. knows what is important.
3. grows together.
4. has a chemistry that fits.
  • a. Relationships are strong.
  • b. Desires are similar.
  • c. Trust is evident.
  • d. Roles are clear.
  • e. Abilities are complementary.
  • f. Players are appreciated.
  • g. Morale is high.
  • h. Wins are frequent.
  • i. Motives are pure.
  • j. Benefits are received by all.
    5. places individual rights below the team's best interest.
    6. realizes everyone plays a special role.
    7. has a strong bench.
    8. knows exactly where the team stands.
    9. pays the price.
    10. says "yes" to the right questions.
    (from MLM Notebook Two)

    Competence:
    My ideas often became actions which were not only blessings to others but also to myself.

    I shall not stop to evaluate my level of competency:
    1. My ideas often turn into plans.
    2. I can figure out how to finish a job I start.
    3. I am good at solving problems.
    (from MLM Notebook Two)

    Commitment:
    I had more commitment in many aspects, which had not been the case previously. I was more willing to sacrifice my personal interest to the benefit of people around me.

    I shall constantly remind myself to be committed to Christ as much as He is committed to me. "And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen." (Matthew 28:18-20, NKJV)

    Father God, I thank You for bringing to completion what You had empowered me to do in 2010.
  • No comments: