Friday, January 7, 2011

Christ Must Increase, But I Must Decrease

A few months ago, the Holy Spirit began to remind me, "Christ must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30 NKJV). As a disciple of Jesus, I understood that God wanted me to deny myself, take up my cross and follow Him daily (Matthew 16:24).

Last Sunday, we were introduced to the church theme for 2011. It was from Psalms 115:14. Ps James specially mentioned the King James Version of the verse "The LORD shall increase you more and more, you and your children."

That afternoon at Calvary Care Home (CCH), each of us talked about what we would like to increase this year. I had not given thought to this question. When it was my turn to share at last, I spontaneously said, "1. The fruit of the spirit (love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Galatians 5:22-23)--I want to be kinder, more gentle... 2. Giving--my time, my money and my talent."

After I went home, I remembered God's expectation of me again. And I realised that my answers at CCH actually indicated that I was no longer as self-centred as before. Instead, I was putting the benefit of the Kingdom of God as my priority. The Lord also approved of my desire to serve others more with my gifts.

That day for the first time, I felt that the little girl in primary school at whom the teacher had pointed and to whose face she had told, "Lee Sah, you're very selfish!" had progressively decreased.

Father God, I'm willing to let Christ in me increase. And I'm willing to decrease.

No comments: