Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Article For "Calva-Write 2010" Ist Issue

Last Sunday, Calvarites finally got a copy of the first issue of "Calva-Write 2010".

Being in the publication committee last year, I was in charge of reporting a few church events. As a volunteer at Calvary Care Home (CCH), I was also required to write my testimony for the CCH 10th anniversary newsletter which was later included in this Calvary Life Assembly bi-annual magazine. The article was quite similar to my blog entry of 25th May 2009.

Dad, you used to encourage me to write. And whenever I had anything published in a newspaper or a magazine, you were always proud of me. Two years after you left me, I took over your career in another way. Now, not only I regard myself as a journalist when I blog, I also feel myself like a nurse when I care for others. My childhood ambitions to become like you or Florence Nightingale, my first heroes, are both being achieved!

I dedicate this article to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------
“I thank God for transforming my life
through caring for these adorable little ones,”


As a newly committed Calvarite in early 2008, I did not even know that Calvary Care Home existed. I first saw the children’s pictures in the CCH anniversary newsletter and learnt that the Committee was calling for tutors. I had a desire to volunteer but never contacted the Care Home seriously.

When I was an assistant teacher in the Children's Church, the youngest CCH boys were in my upper-primary class. I was aware that they required more attention than those who were under their own parents’ care, but I was not to manifest my special concern for them, which might have been misunderstood as favoritism by other children.

After I had resigned from the post, I still thought of reaching out to these boys at the Calvary Care Home where they were doing most of their daily activities outside school. God opened the door again when Wilson Ti whom I had known at the CCH Fund-raising Jumble Sale told me he needed someone to help in his Chinese subject.

In March 2009, I finally stepped into the Care Home. In the beginning, I gave tuition to Wilson Ti only. After a few times, I also befriended other boys. Soon afterwards, I resumed my baking hobby to share some snacks with them. It was always a pleasure to see them appreciating whatever I brought to them, even though the results of my baking experiments were not always successful. As they grew familiar to me, they were no longer bashful to talk to me.

Along the way, I became acquainted with Bro. Albert Peh, who spared his evenings conducting the boys’ study programme or spending devotion time with them, Sis. Annie Choo and her daughter Adrienne who collected and delivered donated food items to the Home, and Sis. Jothy Bai who often showered the children with motherly love and advice. I realized that there were many others who were faithfully serving CCH from behind the scenes. These loving people were setting a good example for me to be a CCH caregiver aside from my full-time teaching job.

Later, I made regular visitations to the Calvary Care Home to help the boys with their homework. As I got to know the CCH boys better, I was willing to spend more time with them. During the last school holidays, I often participated in their recreational outings, events, sports, preparation of meals, etc. I began to enjoy my new roles of driver, cook and tailor, and to feel at home with this God-given family at Bukit Baru. The children were also comfortable with my presence as a big sister or an aunt.

God has His time and season for everything. I believe that He has put the burden in my heart for the CCH children so that I can be a mentor to them during this stage of their life where they start to form their own thoughts, ideas and concepts, which sometimes lead to conflicts with adults or guardians. Having gone through this transitional stage, I am able to relate to them by lending an ear and sharing my life experiences. In return, I have earned their trust and friendship which are very precious to me.

I was not passionate about caring for children in the past. Now when I look at the CCH boys with Jesus’ eyes, every one of them has the potential to become a great man of God. I give thanks to the Lord for bringing me closer to the kingdom of heaven through caring for these adorable little ones.
---------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi Lisa,
You wrote a wonderful and inspirational article in Calvawrite. Continue writing without fear or favour. It is always Him whom we glorify!BTW,Your dad would have been very proud of you! God bless!~

Michan said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Bro Ivan. All the glory to God.