Thursday, May 22, 2008

Unexpected Visit In Bahrain

When I looked for the departure time for Bahrain-Paris on the second boarding pass, it was stated 0610 instead of 0135 which was printed on my e-ticket receipt. Almost five and a half hours later than I had been informed earlier. I considered this delay a blessing in disguise, as:

1. I had turned down Toitot's kind offer to pick me up at the airport.
2. I had given up the idea of booking online a non-refundable and non-exchangeable train ticket for Paris-Besançon at half price.

It was around 2pm when we touched down at the Bahrain International Airport, I was directed to the hotel and transport counter when I told a custom officer that my next connection was to Paris.

I was offered the transport by airport shutter and a room at Baisan hotel which was 10 minutes drive from the airport. What a good surprise. I had thought that the transit would not allow me to go out from the airport and that I had to idle more than half a day at the waiting lounge.
After the check in, a short rest in the room and a glance of the outside scenery through the window,

I walked out from the hotel to explore Manama, the capital of the kingdom of which my knowledge was limited to its organisation of the grand prix of Formula 1.

During my two-hour visit on foot, mainly on the Exhibition Boulevard, I was impressed by Bahrainis' parking attitude: Imported cars were stationed next to the traffic light,

along a narrow road,

on the pedestrian crossing, etc. I could find scratches on most of them!

Posters of a man were hanging everywhere :
-at the street lamp post,

outside a shop or a restaurant,

in front of a construction site, etc. I could not understand Arabic but I noticed the date of '20/5/2008'.

When I walked past a site with preparations of an important event, I asked a policeman whether it was related to the posters.

I only understood his English when he answered "...tonight at 8 o'clock".

I showed the hotel receptionist pictures of the poster I had taken. She told me there would be a group wedding and the king's uncle who was going to officiate the ceremony, would give BD1000(Bahrain Dinars, equivalent to USD3000) to every spouse!

At 9 o'clock after my dinner at the hotel, I returned to the site. It was crowded with Bahrainis!

From where I was standing, women in daffah, a long loose-fitting black gown, were seated on the left,

while men in Thobe and headdress were gathered on the right. Further up on the stage, the presence of some VIP in formal western outfits created a contrast to those in traditional dressing.

After the men had performed a few traditional dances with swords and tambourines,

the women rushed to the exit of the site to wave at the VIPs who were leaving first. I was told by a man that the crowd was giving farewell to the Prime Minister and several ministers, and that there would be a lecture after that.

I did not stay until the end, and I am still not sure which version I heard was true.

No comments: