Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Second Call On 9 May

“Good morning, Lee Sah. This is Pastor Angeline. We have two elderly people who live at Cheng, a man at the old folks’ home and a woman at her house. Alvin has been bringing them to church. But since he moved to Ujong Pasir after he had got married, we need someone else to pick them. Will you be able to do that?”

“No problem, Pastor Angeline. When I'm around in Melaka on weekends, I’m glad to do them the service.”

“That’s good. Alvin is still going to fetch them to church this time. When you send them back after the service, they will direct you to where they live.”

That was the second phone call I received on 9 May, another good surprise since I had been thinking of getting myself involved in a ministry or some social work. God was going to give me a chance by appointing me as a driver!

Sunday after the service, as I did not know my two passengers, I went to look for Alvin. He was buying lunch. Then he showed me to Uncle Seelan, to whom he passed the packed food. The face of this cute old man with spectacles was familiar to me! Next, Alvin introduced me to Aunty Chew who was also carrying her lunch box in a plastic bag that someone must have offered to her. I recognised her! I used to notice her because of her tiny frame and her fervent expression. She was so frail that her arms were trembling when she raised them during the worship!

Alvin drew a simple map for me to indicate the exact location of their residence, after which I led my “clients” to my car. Uncle Seelan was seated in front while Aunty Chew behind. Since the announcement that the usage of seat belts by rear seat passengers would be made compulsory from June onwards, I had pulled out the safety belts which were hiding in the boot. It was one more assurance to keep my passengers safe.

Uncle Seelan, an Sri Langkan of origin, was 83 years old while Aunty Chew, a Nyonya, was 78. Both of them were more than double my age. But we three, from different cultures, were God’s children. How blessed to have the same heavenly father who loves us regardless our age and race!

No comments: