Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Million-Dollar Baby

I had just come back from my late afternoon walk and tea break when my brother Ah Yu telephoned me.

I had not seen him for almost two years. The previous time I gathered with him and my sister-in-law Emi, Dad was lying on the deathbed. A week later, we lost Dad, A few months after the funeral, one day Ah Yu rang Mum to tell her that Emi might have conceived, which did not take a long time to be confirmed. This piece of good news injected great joy to our family who were still mourning the passing of Dad.


Since then, our conversations were more cheerful when talking about Emi’s pregnancy. After the birth of little Yuri last August, my brother had happily accepted the new role of a father. Our long-distance communication was always focusing on his made-in-Japan product. He sent us by emails numerous pictures of the newly-born in different positions. He showed us through web cam the baby’s daily activities at home. Thanks to the advanced information technology, we in Malaysia had been able to keep track of the growth of our new family member who was far away on the other side of the ocean.


“So, how’s Yuri? You and Emi must be busy looking after him and excited watching him everyday. In the past I didn’t like children so much. Now I grow to enjoy being with them.”

“Me too, especially now I have my own son. He is my treasure. If one day he were kidnapped, I would pay millions (Dollars? Ringgit? Yen?) to free him."

Dear Brother, you are a wonderful father, but there is a greater One, “for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16 NKJV). You would give millions as ransom to save your son, but our Creator God has given His Son Jesus as ransom to redeem the entire mankind (1 Timothy2:6) !

No comments: