Friday, May 16, 2008

Ancestor Worship: Qing Ming

I was informed by Mum that we were going to sweep the tombs on Sunday March 30. That was the period during which I tried to avoid ancestor worship at home.

When Qing Ming was approaching, I began to worry about my family’s reaction when they found out I was going to neither kneel down nor pray before my grandparents and Dad with burning joss sticks.

After I told Jagan about the difficulty I was facing, she kindly sent me a message which really boosted my confidence:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hi! I'm marking papers now. Just want to encourage you to make a stand for Christ with your mum as then you are blessed (Matthew 5:10). Also once you do this, I believe strongly you allow the Lord to start working in the lives of your family members and one day they will come to know Him too (Acts. 16:31). Will be praying for you. God bless.

Regards,
Jagan
---------------------------------------------------------------
That Saturday evening in the kitchen, Mum were checking food to be brought to the gravesite when I asked her in a mild manner,

“Mum, are all these things to be offered tomorrow? I’m not going to pack any leftover when I go back to Melaka. And I’m not going to burn joss sticks or paper accessories tomorrow.”

To my surprise, Mum did not show any negative emotion.

The next morning at half past seven, we reached the Yong Chun gravesite to clearing my grandparents’ tomb first. It was covered with red ground and weeds. Though I merely participated in the cleaning, it did not mean I honoured the defunct family members less. Without my grandparents, Dad might not have settled in Johor and met Mum. Without Dad and Mum, I would not have been born to this world to know the earthly love and heavenly love!

Next we went to Dad’s tomb. It was much cleaner and required less sweeping. I sat there, thinking of the last moment when I saw his coffin being laid in the ground. Dad, when are we going to meet in heaven?

Later in the evening, when I was getting ready to drive back to Melaka, Mum passed to me some food that she had separated from the offerings and had kept aside.

I was so grateful to Mum who was yet to be a believer but I knew “…Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” (Acts 16:31)

No comments: