Tuesday, May 27, 2008

One Night In Bahrain V

Three minutes walk before we reached Baisan hotel. Alex and I were leaning on the bridge.

"Take a picture here. It's beautiful." I took out my camera and caught the last image of Manama city.

Then I showed him the ones we had taken together earlier.

"You have a nice face."

"I have a public face. You say I look like a Philippina. The Thai think I look like one of them. The Vietnamese also... You look sad again, Alex."

"If you could stay longer, I would show you my flat and cook Filipino food for you. Good moments are short..."

"Don't feel sad. That'll be another time when I visit you again."

"You're welcome to visit me anytime. If you have a transit again here, we can see again." He quickly sought a piece of paper in his pocket and wrote down his contact number. I doubted I would be given a stay again since my transit between Paris-Bahrain and Bahrain-Kuala Lumpur would be less than two hours, unless there was any modification of the schedule by Gulf Air again.

"We'd better go, It's almost 3.40am."

We walked down from the bridge and headed towards the direction of Baisan hotel.

"Kumusta, Alex?"

"Novute, and Ingat. It means 'take care'."

It was similar to a Malay word.

Upon arrival, he taught me a last sentence. It sounded familiar to me. When I remembered the meaning, I said,

"I've heard it before. It must be a naughty sentence."

"These are not bad words."

"I know. It's a sentence that people like when they are learning a new language."

"You know the meaning?"

I knocked my head, pointing to myself and then to him.

"Say it in English."

I gave my answer and we both smiled.

It was time to say goodbye. Alex kissed me on my left cheek. I also returned one on his right cheek.

"Thank you very much for everything. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too. Good luck." And he left without turning his back.

Alex, once again thank you for making my transit in Bahrain such a memorable experience. May God bless you always!

Kumusta, my friend?

No comments: