Monday, May 26, 2008

One Night In Bahrain III

"I'm going to buy some snacks and then we'll go to the seaside."

I looked at my watch. It was less than two hours before my check-out from Baisan hotel. We had just got out from the club F1.

"Have you tasted this before?" Alex was pointing at the roasted meat on a vertical rotating split.

"Is it Turkish kebab? We also have this in Malaysia."

"Normally kebab is with lamb. This one is with chicken. We call it 'syawarma' here. You like it spicy?"

"I love spicy food. But Alex, I'm not hungry. Just buy one and we'll share then."

After he had placed an order, we went into a convenience shop just opposite.

He took two bottles of soya bean milk and asked me if I wanted some Philippino chips in packets before going to the counter. I shook my head.

"That will be a lot for supper. I'm really not hungry."

"How much, my friend?" Alex asked the owner.

"You want some cigarettes?"

"No, that's all."

When we came out from the shop, the shawarma was just ready to be taken away.

"Everybody is your friend here."

"They know me. My flat is just nearby." He pointed at a building. "I often buy things in their shops. They must think that you are a Philippina."

"Do you smoke, Alex?"

"No, only once awhile when I need to relax."

"I tried before but I never found it tempting."

The seaside was at the other side of the city. Had Alex not told me, I would not have known that it was within walking distance. I had seen it from far during my afternoon stroll alone under the sun. Never had I expected to go there under the moon, and with a company.

Was I too naive to simply walk around with a stranger at such a late hour? I was confident of my trust in my new friend.

No comments: