Monday, February 14, 2011

An Afternoon With New Little Friends

Last Thursday afternoon, I dropped by at Harap Learning Centre Bukit Baru to pass some donated stationery. I was delighted to see Nurul there.

I learnt from Sis Theresa that Mrs Ee who had brought food during her visit the previous day to the centre had invited Nurul to join them and to come every afternoon. Instead of idling at the playground after school or when she skips school, this 7-year-old little girl was finally willing to accept the offer of the shelter where she was guided to do her homework. Though we adults were talking, she was able to do her exercise quietly and with full attention. Without previously having attended the kindergarten, she was writing numbers in BM and colouring pictures very neatly.

At first, I planned to stay on to meet Sis Christine, a retired teacher who gives free English tuition to Seri Siantian flats' children from 5pm to 7pm. That day, we waited for her until 5.20pm but she seemed to be not able to make it. As I was leaving after Sis Theresa closed the centre, two boys and a girl carrying a bag each asked me if their teacher was coming. They must have seen me during the party. Not having a confirmed answer for them, I told them I would teach them for awhile. Sitting on the floor, I asked them to show me one by one their exercise, to read out the sentences in English and to translate into BM. When they did not know the meaning of a word, I explained to them and reminded them to write down in case they forgot again later.

Once awhile, Nurul's brother Syukri was curious to see what we were doing.

I spent about one hour with them. Next, it was time for them to relax since the teacher still did not turn up.

The boy Fikri and the girl Atikah called their youngest brother, who appeared at the balcony, to come down. My "supermodel" Farahan was excited to see me again. I was also very glad to meet the three siblings together

and to know that all my new little friends enjoyed the photograph session.

When I said goodbye to them, Atikah asked me when I would come again.

How nice it is to know that someone is looking forward to my next visit. I thank God for this wonderful encounter.

No comments: