Monday, February 21, 2011

When Two Sanguines Got Connected I: Meeting Up In Melaka

I used to have visitors from outstation or overseas. Since the end of 2008, strangely almost none of my contacts, besides my family members, relatives and a few regulars, had paid me a visit in Melaka.

Recently I got to know Ray, my senior under the same MLM training in Kuala Lumpur. One of the first questions he asked me was "What kind of personality are you?" I had not done the test but based on my loud voice and laughs evey three minutes, he was convinced that "sanguine" was the most suitable term to describe me on the spot. When he revealed to me that he was also one, I was not surprised since he sounded like a friendly, chatty person and could talk as fast as I!

After a few telephone conversations, Ray grew more curious to find out more about his sanguine sister in Christ. When the two sanguines got connected, the result was a meet-up in Melaka last Saturday. He was asked to pass me three boxes of donated stationeries to give to Harap Learning Centre (HLC) Bukit Baru.

As our meeting point was at Ayer Keroh, I did not miss to introduce to Ray my church Calvary Life Assembly building and Calvary Care Home before we went to the centre, which was close, to have a look from outside. Then we dropped by at Dr Wong's clinic to say hello to the coordinator of HLC Bukit Baru.

We waited about fifteen minutes for our turn for the "consultation". Dr Wong did not recognize his "patient" immediately. After the "diagnosis", he finally remembered Ray who had talked to him over the phone and whom he had probably seen at the Men's Fraternity booth during the EFC Leadership Summit 2010.

We did not want to disturb Dr Wong too long. So we left after a short while and I brought Ray to a significant coconut juice stall which was about a hundred steps from the clinic to offer him a welcoming drink. It was run by Sajar's family! I had driven past their stall many times but had never stopped by. The couple and their lovely daughter were there. It was the first time I met Sajar's wife. At first I was not sure whether this lady who looked very young was Nurul's sister or mother until she confirmed her identity.

While sipping the fresh coconut juice and giving Ray a brief account of Sajar's story which he had already heard a little bit in KL, I myself was moved by the impact Sajar had brought to his household when he had begun to reject passivity.

Ray was taking a break in the midst of his busy month. I also took this occasion to have a change of my routine. During the hours that followed, both of us were going to become real tourists...

No comments: