Thursday, February 17, 2011

Projek Harap Melaka Team February Gathering

This month of February, there is no MLM class at all in Melaka because of the Chinese New Year and the public holiday. Nevertheless, Ps Richard and Piek See came to Melaka to meet the Projek Harap team at Mr and Mrs Ee's house this Tuesday.

Living near their residential area, I was the first guest to arrive. Since we were still in the festive season, I wore a red T-shirt and brought some mandarins. I thought I could give a hand in the kitchen. When I stepped into the dining room, the high tea was ready! Mrs Ee's neighbour had helped her to prepare most of the food. Laying on the table were fried mee siam, two types of nyonya kuih, taufu fa, etc.

I was very amazed that even the taufu fa was homemade. Mrs Ee scooped some into a bowl to let me taste.

The texture was so soft and smooth that the custard just melted in my mouth the moment I sipped it! As I was going to fill my stomach with other mouth watering dishes, I controlled myself to have the second serving only three hours later.

Ps Richard and Piek See arrived from Kluang a bit later. When they were urged by our hospitable hosts to serve the abundant foods, Piek See said, "We've been eating since 1pm. I think I need to change into pyjama. Otherwise my button is going to pop out!" She was very interested to shave ice for the cendol with the machine, which was actually a juicer with the ice-grating spare part.

We poured red beans, green worm-like jelly, coconut milk and gula Melaka onto the shaved ice. Was the DIY cendol nice? The answer was written on Ps Richard's face.

We began our "feast" before the meeting as Dr Wong would only come at about 5.30pm after his work. Bro BB had to leave early. Jonathan and Joel who were also dressed like angpao like me did not eat much because they were going to a dinner gathering later with their cell group members.

Probably due to the effect of tapai accompanied by ice-cream, our mood was high to talk about and laugh at "entertaining" topics. The serious meeting finally started after five o'clock. Piek See updated us on the SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) of Projek Harap. Mrs Ee is not only a wonderful host and cook in her house, but also a great helper and purchaser for Harap Learning Centre.

Dr Wong who is the coordinator of Harap Learning Centre Bukit Baru has been very busy preparing for his exam in addition to his daily work at the clinic. Despite his tight schedule, he continues to care for needy people around him. He shared with us encouraging news about Sajar who had brought his family members and other children from the neighbourhood to visit him during the Chinese New Year.

Jonathan and Joel will play an important role of collecting quantitative data from the families of the children who attend the centre.

Mr Ee is the BM translator for documents. Ps Richard reminded us to focus on our primary objective, ie to give pre-school education to children between 3-6 years old, but partner with people who reach out to other ranks.

I will continue to do odd jobs where necessary with my gift of help.

No comments: