Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Siew Hong's Family At My Place

Siew Hong's family were among my guests who found my place very homely on their first visit last year. However, due to our respective busy schedule, I hardly had a chance to receive them this year. Last Friday, she finally made up her mind to spend the weekend at Paya Rumput. As she did not want her son to miss his tuition from 7pm to 9pm, she was thinking if they would come that night or the next morning. I told her, "You start packing your luggage in the afternoon. As soon as Johanan finishes, you all just shoot off to my house. I don't mind if you 'check in' late."

That evening after ten o'clock, the mother and the three excited children appeared at my door. Siew Hong often says that I am like the younger version of her. As soon as we meet up, we always have countless stories to share. That day was of no exception. As the clock in my dining room was not working anymore, both of us did not realise the time passing. When we decided to go to bed, it was already over 2am!

The next day after lunch, she was very sleepy. So while she was taking a nap, I went to the living room to be with her sons and daughter.

How do I usually judge whether my guests make themselves at home?

By looking at their position on the sofa and the floor,

and the way they play

with my gadgets.

Siew Hong told me that she sometimes insists to mop the host's floor which her children have dirtied before they leave the house. In my house, these lovely angels not only keep it clean, they also clear up the toys.

How do you judge if I am very glad with their presence?

By looking at the food I prepare for them.

Nadine only sought her mother's attention later in the afternoon, which had allowed Siew Hong to take a good rest.

Before they departed, Nathanael said to me, "Teacher Lee Sah, thank you very much for your hospitality."

At his age, I did not even know what "hospitality" meant because I had never learnt it from my family... I truly thank God for having first blessed me with people who opened their houses to me in the past, so that I in my turn was inspired to do likewise.

No comments: