Saturday, September 18, 2010

Calvary Care Home Mini-Camp At Paya Rumput II

On the second day of the mini-camp, the person after me who looked forward most to breakfast when waking up was David no doubt, especially since Sis Fei Gin had bought two packets of cheese for the boys. When my foster son was around, I started to attend to his preference to have chopped tomato, herbs and cheese as topping of a banana naan, then wholemeal sandwiches without butter, etc.

Ps Angeline, the guest speaker that morning, arrived later with a tray and a small pot of coffee to illustrate the result of the strong worldly influence in we believers' lives despite our input of godliness. We will be able to get rid of the worldliness only when we come to Jesus for His cleansing. She ended her talk by leading the boys to a prayer of confession.

Ps Angeline was going to break fast at 12 noon. She gave me a hand in the kitchen while I fried fresh bamboo shoots with fish and cooked dried bead curd skin with pucuk manis from my backyard. I did not hesitate to tell her that those were my first experiments and that they were going to be my guinea pigs. She was interested to try new ingredients and recipes.

That afternoon the weather was very mild for outdoor activities. We divided the six boys into two groups to compete with each other. After a session of quiz by Albert in the living room, we led them to the field for a telematch.

I had prepared containers, spoons,

chopsticks, rubber bands,

balls, etc.

I explained the rules; Albert judged and announced the final results. The prize for the winner team was a set of bubble gun which Ps Lee had passed to me the previous Sunday.

To make sure the dinner was ready soon after we stepped into the house again, I had already cooked a pot of tomyam soup to eat with mee hoon. I was so busy the whole day that I had no time to even tear the calendar! I moved to every seat to serve and add food to the campers' plates.

When I came to Paul who always regarded me as his sister, he looked at me and said, "You're like a mother." I had never fancied to be a mother. Suddenly I realised that God must be joking with me by sending me a lot of children to feed!

Luke and Daniel were patient enough to wait for me to soak the second packet of mee hoon for additional serving. Although I finally almost did not have any soup left for myself, their great support was my satisfaction.

Not only the boys' stomachs were well taken care of, their feet were given a treat as well. The evening devotion was about service. To demonstrate how Jesus washed His disciples' feet, Albert asked me to bring a pail of water and a towel. Then he began to do likewise to the boys one after another.

To us adults, it was symbolic. However, to the boys, it was rather amusing to be served in this manner.

I shared Albert's role of Jesus to wipe their feet with another dry towel. Later I had to act like Martha to mop the wet floor.

Thank God we did not have to put up with any stinky feet because all of them had already bathed before the dinner...

The interesting programme did not end there. We took a mat and the bubble gun to go to the field again.

While the younger ones were keen to play

and run everywhere,

the senior ones preferred to sit down to save energy.

John chose a place to be alone. When we were back to the house, he told me that while he was watching the night sky, the symbol of love appeared to him instantly. What a creative way God was showing love to His child who longed for it!

2 comments:

JJ said...

(sign!)

Anonymous said...

I like these pictures and the activities of the boys. I wish I can join them. A great leaders and staff. I love these boys.
Can you put my name as a part of Calvary Care Home?
Ps Lee Nguyen