Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Joining The "Authentic Manhood" Class

In early May, Ps Richard started to conduct the "Battlefield Of The Mind" (BOTM) course for women in Melaka. As a rare species among my classmates most of whom were married with children, I enjoyed listening to situations which they faced in their life. Later in June, the "Authentic Manhood" (AM) syllabus was launched. Since, we have men in Melaka who wake up very early in the morning to faithfully attend the sessions at 6am.

Last Tuesday afternoon, Dr Wong followed his wife to attend the BOTM class and found it very interesting. I was also curious to find out what the guys learnt in theirs. And I thought the content might be useful for me to mentor to the Calvary Care Home (CCH) boys. So I asked Ps Richard if I could join the AM class as well. He did not say yes directly. Instead, he told me to come as if I was going to help in the registration.

Having obtained the green light, I happily got up the next day at 5am, even much earlier than on my normal working days. Being a morning person, driving during that hour was quite pleasant to me. Nevertheless, I realised there was potential danger in the dark despite the smooth traffic. Thank God I managed to avoid accidents twice.

When I reached the centre at Malim, I saw my MLM and BOTM classmate Sis Christine Low in her car. She came on behalf of her sons-in-law who were still having sweet dreams at home! So both of us turned up and sat together in the class which meant to teach the men to "honestly examine their lives and take the courageous steps necessary in their journey to embrace authentic manhood".

Unlike the BOTM class, The session consisted of video teaching

and group discussion.

While the men were sharing among them the wounds they were carrying in their "suitcases", Sis Christine and I had our own conversations. As her working hours were very flexible and I was on holiday, we decided to go for breakfast at Kampung Hailam with others who were free to continue the fellowship.

I had been to this area at Klebang a few years ago when I had to carry out a questionnaire for families below the standard of poverty in Melaka. Mr Ee who had grown up in the village recommended this coffee shop.

Sis Christine noticed that the man was the one who was doing the job of removing the bean sprouts' hulls and roots.

Very soon, Mrs Ee, her daughter Christine and Piek See also arrived. We began to place our orders.

As we shared the food, I had a chance to taste a bit of nasi lemak, fried noodles and toasts to accompany my coffee.

Since the representatives of AM outnumbered those of BOTM, the men's voice was louder. A brother talked about his experience of offering his wife expensive flowers on Valentine's Day. Another one said that he was satisfied to stay at home watching "National Geography" and did not understand why women love to travel. We all had a good laugh.

Ps Richard also advised the men to never buy clothes, shoes or handbags for their wives.

I added, "You guys just take out your money or credit card to pay for your wives. That's good enough!"

After this session, I drew a conclusion that we need to know the opposite gender better and change our mindset to tolerate each other, which will be a lifelong lesson.

No comments: