Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Let Go To Appreciate Better

After treating my house like a motel for months, I finally gave it back its original identity of my home sweet home when the Raya holiday started. Early last week, I spent a lot of time to attend to my garden which I had been neglecting due to my rare presence during day times.

Four years ago, as soon as I was back from work, I squatted in the frontyard and backyard until sunset to remove small stones from the ground, pour in soil and plant flowers which I had bought from nurseries. That was one of my ways to bury my grievance for Dad's passing.

Some plants died for various reasons. Others still grow very well this year despite lack of fertilizer. As I was cutting grass, I noticed that a survival plant was blocking the view of the some purple trumpet flowers.

Actually it also sometimes produced very beautiful orange and red flowers. But this time, I decided to let go one of the plants, which I would not have borne to do in the past. I began to use scissors to cut off the branches and pulled the trunk together with its roots out of the ground.

Once the job was done, the small purple flowers were immediately in a better position to show their lovely smiles.

I was reminded of myself. As I learnt to set my priority and chose what to let go, I could appreciate better the more beautiful side of my life.

No comments: