Saturday, September 4, 2010

Calvary Care Home Retreat At My Place

This year, I give the priority to the Calvary Care Home (CCH) gang beside my family members for all kinds of activities in Melaka. When Merdeka Day was approaching, I offered them to come to my place like two weeks earlier.

This time, Paul followed us and Luke was no longer allowed to go back to his mother's house. Without my willingness to drive the long distance, it was impossible to bring the boys for any outstation trip. So, Albert P said to them, "This time, we won't go anywhere. We'll only do spiritual things like the monks."

Among the CCH boys, only Paul had expressed his desire of singlehood like "Father" Albert. Even then, I doubt this teenager who loves fashion would look forward to leading a priest's life. In around year 2000, I rented a student's room in a convent in France but was never keen to join any of the Catholic sisters' religious activities. Ten years later, my own house turned into a occasional "monastery" for my brothers in Christ!

Albert was in charge of the intensive programme for the spiritual--
conducting sessions of Bible study and discussion,

quiet time,

listening to worship or sermons.

I joined them once awhile when I was not preparing food or doing other housework which was due. It was challenging to me to plan the menu because I had never taken care alone of all the three meals of so many people. It was also rewarding to me when I saw the plates and bowls and containers empty after I had served these "monks" whether the sweet sour fish, omelet, soup, oyster sauce chicken, Japanese tauhu, cakes, fruits, burgers, sushi, baked potatoes, or ice-cream etc.

Although the boys had little time for outdoor activities and no chance to watch a Holywood movie on DVD nor listen to a pop song, they did not complain too much. I believe that they got more bored when there was nobody to guide them and pay attention to them. The retreat made the CCH administrator tired rather than let him rest but he found it very fulfilling. As an assistant, I rejoiced in serving with my spritual gifts. I was also very glad to learn that the CCH gang felt my house as homely as Trekker Lodge.

And they already made a reservation for their next longer stay...

5 comments:

albert peh said...

May the "nun and monk" retreat continue on eternally. Next session might see all boys go "botak" ? haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Michan said...

Eternally?! You "monks" go ahead. I'm not ready to be a nun yet, hee hee!

JJ said...

i don't want to cut botak. but from my veiw if Professor albert cut botak he'll look handsome. I wonder what bak chang will think went she sees your hair style..............

albert peh said...

Botak on my head I am still handsome, no hair on all my body I will still look handsome, no misai I will also look handsome, no eyebrow I will also look handsome. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

JJ said...

Corection you will like a ghost or POntianak!