Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Middle Of An Hectic Weekend IV: Launching The Boys' Fellowship

Last December, as I was getting more involved in the Calvary Care Home (CCH) children's activities, ideas to improve their well-being kept flowing into my mind one after another. I noticed that even though we had numerous meetings at CCH to pass our messages, the children lacked of enthusiasm to worship God with praise songs and of the biblical teaching to apply in their daily life. My suggestion to have a CCH cell was jotted down by Albert P who three months later launched it under the name of "Boys' Fellowship" and held it at a Saturday night, so that it would not affect our attendance to our respective cells. As a boyish female, I was qualified to participate and well received in this group of young boys and old "boy".

It was the first weekend of the school holidays. After the dinner, we returned to the living room, arranged the sofa and chose our seats. Only Paul, Luke, Matthew, David and Isaac were around. Someone had brought the guitar from upstairs. It was a pity that none of us could play the instrument.

Since all of us were very familiar with one another, it was definitely an informal gathering. How informal was it? Just look at the hands and legs of fifty percent of the participants...

As there was a change of venue, the teaching materials and song lyrics that I had printed out were not with me. We improvised with confessions of our mischievous acts during childhood times.

Albert revealed touching stories which nobody else had known. When it was their turn, the usual chatterboxes David, Matthew and Luke only uttered few sentences. At their age, it was always more interesting to them to listen to others' experiences than to tell their own.

I shared about how I had overcome my hot temper after reading God's words.

Isaac who came back from the church work ate the leftover food alone and joined us later. He represented the boys to leak out examples of their past naughtiness during their first guardian Fei Gin's term.

After the heart talk, the second part was the prayer session. We prayed that the boys would become great godly leaders, etc. The children also had "ambitious" prayers for the adults, that Albert would not wear his pants so high and that I would rear puppies and even elephants in my house one day...

No comments: