Friday, March 19, 2010

Middle Of An Hectic Weekend I: Visiting Luke's Former School

Two Saturdays ago was the sports day at Luke's former primary school. I had promised to be his driver and accompanying adult. Since David was also putting up at my place, I brought both boys to the event.

I was not the only Chinese face there. Some Chinese St John members were standing by to offer first aid. However, some pupils were still curious to see me together with my two "sons" who were almost as tall as I.

The previous night, we had gone to bed late. And I did not bother to set the alarm to get up early. So when we arrived, all the competitions were already over. The winners were receiving prizes on the stage.

Luke was not disappointed at all. He just wanted to meet his former classmates and teachers with whom he was still keeping in touch by telephone.

Some of his juniors recognized him and asked him in Tamil, "How are you?". He simply replied to these smaller children whom he did not remember, "Who are you?"

After the ceremony, we were invited for refreshments at the canteen. I noticed these sloping tables and wondered if any plates or glasses had ever slid down into the drain.

As we had just eaten toasts at home, Luke was more keen to find old traces

and spot changes in the school compound.

Every corner must have evoked a memory.

One day, they would be the ones to bring their children there to recount their old stories.

No comments: