Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Breakfast With My First Batch Of BBAF Students

Last Tuesday, I showed my BBAF part 2 students pictures of the meals with other groups during the last semester. As this group consisted of only two boys who were often late for class and a majority of shy and quiet girls, I was not expecting them to be keen to organize something for a third-language subject.

During the ten-minute break, Abidah came to me, asking me what they could include in the menu. VoilĂ ! Someone just had to take the initiative and others would move along. So I let them discuss among themselves to decide the budget and the items to prepare.

This morning, I entered the classroom with baguettes and tea which I sponsored.

The breakfast was going to be accompanied by the film "Ratatouille" on DVD.

When those who were in charge of the food and drink arrived, we had to switch on the light again to let them lay everything on the desks which were placed together. I noticed Amalina was doing some "massage" to a baguette. She was pressing the elastic French loaf so that it was easier to cut into slices. I had forgotten to remind them to bring a bread saw. So I helped her to saw at the loaf with a blunt knife.

Every time, I encouraged my students to bring their own mugs, plates and utensils instead of buying disposable dishes. But still, I often ended up being the only environment-friendly activist.

Once they said their prayer, my students forgot about me. Comfortably seated, they took their time to pass around the spaghetti, sauce, hot dogs, powdered cheese and fruit juice. To accelerate the service, I stood up, took over a pot of spaghetti and started to walk around to serve my students before the food finally reached my plate.

Actually this was not an authentic French breakfast, because typical French people never suck noodles at 9am! But when you see the chefs proudly showing the empty pot,

you know that my students had enjoyed this class during which for the first time they did not have to vibrate their tongues and push out their lips to produce some bizarre French sounds.

No comments: