Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chinese New Year Outing With Care Home Boys

After I was back to Melaka with Paul and David, I spent at least two whole days staying at my house to rest.

Friday morning, Albert P telephoned me. He would not be free to bring the Calvary Care Home boys out Saturday afternoon. So he suggested that we organized a cinema-and-dinner outing for them that Friday afternoon. I immediately recalled the horrible experience with the traffic jam, especially during this festive season. I was not expecting that kind of outing to be so soon. Nonetheless, since my "battery" had been recharged and it was always a pleasure to be with these children, I agreed without hesitation.

I could not be more relieved when knowing that Melaka Mall, which was less than 5km from the Care Home, was the place we were going. I had almost forgotten this shopping complex which was also housing a cineplex.

Since the CCH boys were not interested in Hong Kong Chinese New Year movies, we picked "Percy Jackson And The Lightning Thief". As usual, my mind became blurred during the first ten minutes. When I followed the plot better, I began to join others, Albert being the loudest among the audience, who were laughing at certain funny scenes.

I was not a fan of fantasy stories, so my mind easily idled again. That was when I thought of Paul who urgently needed a pair of spectacles due to his high degree of astimagtism, which I had found out during his stay in Batu Pahat. When the movie was over, it was still early for dinner. I made a suggestion to Albert so that we would drive all the children to Chan optometrist which was a bit further up Ayer Keroh express way.

This organisation which dealt with people's eyes especially care for the marginalised communities. Not only they merely charged a small amount officially, they were willing to redirect the money to the CCH general fund to support this ministry. Moreover, the person in charge Mr Murphy C blessed every CCH boy with an angpow. Albert and I had a nice conversation with this kind man who shared the same insight into the correct way to help the underpriviledged people.

Now the children had extra budget for dinner. So we all decided to sit comfortably at "Johnny's" in Jaya Jusco shopping mall. I remembered my very first outing with the CCH children. That time, we were only six to occupy the table. This time, we were ten!

Paul requested me to sit beside him and opposite David. During the meal, three of us shared among us a little of our different dishes and ice-cream. Three months ago, David seldom talked to me and Paul seemed to always live in his own world. I had never thought of being so close to these two siblings but God marvellously entrusted them to me in a progressive way.

We would have sat there a bit longer if not for some gaz released from one of the CCH boys' bowel. We were bounced from our seats, which attracted our neighbours' attention. As long as the CCH boys were around, it was almost impossible for us to go everywhere unnoticed...

No comments: